Stuck stout fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jking108

Reaction score
I've got stuck fermentation on my stout. It was brewed 2 weeks ago and was 1.066 into the primary. Yeast was Safale US-05. I re-racked into a secondary last week and was at 1.034 I was a little nervous about the high gravity reading so I pitched a vial of White labs #1 (california ale) and I added some yeast nutrient. There was a little activity over the first 24 hours but no krausen or vigourous fermentation. Temps have been a steady 69-70 throughout the process. It has been sitting for 5 days since the second batch of yeast and there has been no change in gravity.

Mash was at 158 for 60 mins and then I batch sparged with 170 degree water.

11 lbs Pale Malt
1 lbs Barley, Flaked
1 lbs Oats, Flaked
1 lbs Roasted Barley
8.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt -120L
8.0 oz Chocolate Malt
4.0 oz Carafa III
1.75 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 60.0 min
0.50 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min
0.25 oz Centennial [10.00 %] - Boil 10.0 min

I've heard of people using champagne yeast to get the gravity down. I aerated prior to the primary as I always do. This was my first all grain batch so I'm in uncharted territory.

Any ideas? Should I bottle with the FG that high?

You mashed too high ( and possibly higher if your thermometer is off as many are)
You racked off the yeast too soon, 1 week is just not long enough
As a result of the two you have a less fermentable wort and then not enough yeast to finish the job, the re-pitch probably didn't help much because you under pitched into an alcohol environment.

Rouse the yeast and give it time and see if you can squeeze some more out of it

I looked again. Mashed at 152. New thermo. Roused the yeast and saw drop of a few more points. I'm going to give it another week and bottle it.

Back