Stuck Fermentation on Really Big Imperial Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put some A-Amylase in a stuck Belgian Quad. It works! It took mine from overly sweet 9.8% to a-little-too-sweet 10.5%.
I'm not sure we can generalize. Odie has a RIS that's stuck at 10.5 that he's trying to get to 14.
My suggestion: Add a little A-Amylase at a time, and wait. Check the gravity, if it's still too low, add some more and wait some more.
It's an enzyme. It's pretty stable at fermentation temps. You really shouldn't need multiple additions. Usually the problem with enzymes is getting them to stop rather than getting them to keep going.

I'm not sure we can generalize. Odie has a RIS that's stuck at 10.5 that he's trying to get to 14.

It's an enzyme. It's pretty stable at fermentation temps. You really shouldn't need multiple additions. Usually the problem with enzymes is getting them to stop rather than getting them to keep going.
Yeah, mine stopped again. It went slow and steady for about a week then stopped completely again. I ultimately missed my target, but it got me close enough. I mean, I'd personally rather have a dry beer than an overly sweet one, bit that's just my personal preference.

well, the LHBS had some Amalyze...is that how u spell it?

I added 1/2 teaspoon to each keg. Then I realized that I recently transferred both beers to fresh kegs so I basically moved the beer off the yeast cake from the fermenting keg into a clean keg.

But one beer did appear to move a couple/few points after I added the Belle Saison starter, which was also after the transfer so I guess there is still some yeast in suspension.

Anyway, will sit back and observe at this point. Nothing more can possible be done other than pitching fresh US-05 to replace the yeast cake that is now gone.

Latest posts

Back