Stuck poppets?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Armen_Tamzarian

Reaction score
I just got two new corny kegs from northern brewer and one post from each keg seems to have poppets that are lodged in there. I've tried getting them out after boiling and have had them sitting in oxiclean for a few days but they still seem pretty stuck.

Are some poppets and posts made to stay together? Will it affect the beer at all, or should I be trying to separate them? Never seen this before so I figured I'd ask everybody! Thanks

The feet on some poppets are bent to remain in the post. You can bend them out with small screwdriver or similar. I just clean those in place and don't take them out as I've had them break on occasion.

thanks! Yea I looked at the bottom and the poppets seemed a little different compared to the others I was used to. They've had a good cleaning so I'm sure they'll be fine.

I just had the same problem last night, it was an Italian made corny and the poppets didn't come out of the post.

They don't come out on the new cornies I bought years ago. It's kind of annoying. I have to punch down the poppet while it is submerged in cleaner/sanitizer to make sure all surfaces are good to go. Much easier with poppets that just fall out.

Back