Keg Poppets

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redrocker652002

Reaction score
With my discussion on checking for keg leaks I have come across another question, or need for input. In taking apart a keg or two that I have, I have found that the poppet in some have three little legs so to speak. I ordered some parts and Orings and found that the ones I ordered do not have the legs on them. I am assuming the ones I ordered are universal, but I have not checked. I am at work and just kinda thinking out loud. I went onto Morebeer and they have the ones with the three little legs. Is there a difference? Should I order a few of each to have on hand just in case? Any input is welcomed. Rock On!!!!!!!

Here is an example of what I seem to be finding on the kegs I have looked at so far.

https://www.northernbrewer.com/prod...PdMV7VF4b-RoAdD_UwrrzjVPnz75Y6WcaAknBEALw_wcB

There are four different styles of OEM poppets. They aren’t interchangeable. This article has pics of the different styles and explains which brands of kegs the various styles fit. (Pro tip-keep scrolling; the section on poppets is about halfway down the page).

There are four different styles of OEM poppets. They aren’t interchangeable. This article has pics of the different styles and explains which brands of kegs the various styles fit. (Pro tip-keep scrolling; the section on poppets is about halfway down the page).
this may solve my problem of occasional leaky kegs.

I had assumed all ball lock stuff was interchangeable. I have both Cornelious and firestone.

after refurbishing pin locks from the salvage yard the poppets were a pain. I had kegs with all the varieties. the universal poppet that has a removable o-ring did not work with some posts but did with others. there is one keg if i don't tip it upside down when putting the post on the poppet will not seat properly. kind of a pain but 8 kegs under a 100 bucks is worth it.

I have replaced numerous poppets over the years, but I ran out of stock and bought a few off Amazon that looked to be oem. They are not the same on any of the 4 brands I have. Legs too long and would lock up too tight and not easily allow the connector to attach. I just bought new universals with no legs and they work perfectly on all my kegs. Dang chinese, can't get anything right.

Latest posts

Back