Stuck Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blackfish

Reaction score
I've made Bee Cave Brewery's Haus Ale (all-grain) a few times and it came out great. This time I didn't have as much time and made the extract version. Each time I used Nottingham and pitched it dry. This time it fermented like normal, but the gravity didn't drop below 1.030 after two weeks. I tried gently swirling the carboy to rouse the yeast but 3 days later, no change in gravity. I then repitched Safale05, 3 days later, no kreuzen and no change in gravity.

Anything else to try? or just bottle at 1.030 even though it is really high?

Thanks

Repitching is always problematic - the yeast needs oxygen for reproduction, but there's none left in the beer, and you don't want to give it to them. That, plus the poisonous environment (low sugar, high alcohol compared to fresh wort) means low viability. Charlie P., in one of his books, recommended making a big starter and pitching at high kraeusen. Even so, he regarded it as a "Hail Mary."

Have you checked the calibration of your hydrometer? Maybe you dropped it, I dunno. Beyond that, I got nuthin (you are using a hydrometer and not a refractometer, yes?).

I once made a stout that finished at 1.034, despite numerous efforts. I bottled it anyway, it wasn't great but people enjoyed it.

Cheers,

I used a refractometer which I assume is accurate since water does measure 1.000. I'll try a hydrometer and see if I get the same results.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

If you used a refractometer you will need to adjust for the alcohol. There are conversion charts available to do this. I bet you'll be where you want to be if you adjust (still not perfect) or if you use a hydrometer.

Hydrometer read 1.020, ten full points different than the refractometer. Surprised alcohol made that much difference. Bottled it and called it a day.

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Back