stuck fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

alptekin

Reaction score
hello im new here. well this is my first batch and after 2 days in the primary the air lock stop bubbling. i took a reading after i saw that and im at 1.012 from 1.032. this doesn't seem right according to what i have read. now is there a way to restart the yeast and save this or should i just start conditioning it now and start over with a new batch. Also should i even bother trying to conditioning it in the carboy or just go strait to the bottles? i believe i pitched the yest to hot (it was hovering 80 and i broke the thermometer so i let it sit for another 30 mins) its at 72 now. could that also be because of the temp difference? thanks!

It's only been fermenting for 2 days and it's at 1.012? Then your fermentation isn't stuck it's doing great.

Stopped airlock bubbling doesn't mean a stuck fermentation. It means that there is simply not enough co2 to need to be vented by the airlock. The airlock is a VENT not a fermentation gauge.

Get out of the habit of thinking the airlock is anything other than a vent to release excess co2 and you will be much happier. Your beer/cider/wine/mead will ferment whether or not the airlock bubbles.

If your airlock was bubbling and stopped---It doesn't mean fermentation has stopped.

If you airlock isn't bubbling, it doesn't mean your fermentation hasn't started....

If your airlock starts bubbling, it really doesn't matter.

If your airlock NEVER bubbles, it doesn't mean anything is wrong or right.

Your airlock is not a fermentation gauge, it is a VALVE to release excess co2. And the peak of fermentation has already wound down, so there's simply no need to vent off any excess co2.

You don't need to do a darn thing, everything is fine.

Stepaway_copy.jpg

Just leave your beer alone for a couple of weeks, many of us leave our beers in primary for a month, then bottle. We only secondary if we are adding fruit or oak.

If you are secondarying leave you beer alone for two weeks to let the yeast finish and clean up after itself.

:mug:

thank you. i actually just went to a local home brew store i didn't know about and the man said the same. he told me just throw it in the secondary and let it sit for a week or two to clear up and then bottle because he said its just about right for that. this is a great site for information and i will definitely frequent here.

Back