Restarted stuck fermentation - what now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mallerstang

Let it go
Reaction score
I had my first ever stuck fermentation - blueberry and blackberry wine, using a recipe I've used before, and also started alongside another batch that used a lot of the same fruit but was just fine - so I have no idea what went wrong. It stopped fermenting around 1.050.

Anyhow I followed a gradual restart process and it's now at 1.030 but going slowly. It's been in the primary bucket for a month.

When should I move it to the secondary? I'd hate to lose it after all this. Thanks in advance for advice!

I saw your post with no responses so I thought I try to offer some help.

Since you have seen some signs if it dropping in gravity I'd let it go for awhile until it gets close to where your last batch hit before the secondary. It might just a slow mover.

Just so you know I'm not a wine maker, just beer. From a beer perspective, a batch could be fermenting slow. I would let it sit, as long as it's sealed up it should be fine. You have nothing to loose to let it sit and it might turn out to be stellar when its done.

I hope I primed the pump here and some of the wine markers chime in and offer some help - come on everyone, we're all here to help!!

As @OakIslandBrewery said, is the the SG continuing to decline? If so, just give it time.

What was the OG? What yeast did you use? Depending on the ABV, it could be getting close to the yeast alcohol tolerance.

If it is continuing to ferment very slowly, I would want it in a carboy under airlock, with minimal headspace. I've had wines that continue to ferment slowly for several weeks after I move them to the carboy.

Thanks for both replies! The initial reading was about 1.090 and I used EC1118.

It's actually looking active now and has reached 1.022, so I'll take your advice and move it to the carboy tomorrow. So far it hasn't oxidized - it tastes pretty good. I'm very happy not to be throwing it out! It's a lot of work picking all that fruit:)

Thanks for both replies! The initial reading was about 1.090 and I used EC1118.

It's actually looking active now and has reached 1.022, so I'll take your advice and move it to the carboy tomorrow. So far it hasn't oxidized - it tastes pretty good. I'm very happy not to be throwing it out! It's a lot of work picking all that fruit:)
Congratulations!

Glad it's dropping more and tastes good, all great signs.

Your patience was rewarded!

Back