Stout tastes like ROCKET FUEL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cheezydemon3

Reaction score
HOLY HELL!!!

Only had high alpha hops for my latest stout, so.......like an idiot.....

I only thought of the bitterness. SO....

I only boiled the oz of columbus for 30 minutes.

This resulted in an amazing amount of hop flavor, and it is bitter as PHUCK.(for a stout)

The kerosene/rocket fuel shock only came with the first few sips, Kinda like when you are expecting water from an opaque bottle, and it turns out to be coke.

It doesn't taste bad, but your tongue is like WTF????

it is one tongue bashing brew, but I am developing a taste for it. Not unlike arrogant bastard.

i had 1/2 gallon left over when the keg was filled, so I syphoned that and a healthy bit of yeast into the primary of my caramel amber instead of pitching yeast.....

Now it is bitter as phuck and tastes pretty damned good.

WHAT HAPPENED? SO much hop bitterness, and SO much citrusy hop flavor.

What is the recipe for this stout? 1 oz. of hops should not produce that much bitterness. What else is in it? I just made a double chocolate stout that has more hops in it than yours and it had a very subtle hoppyness to it.

12 lbs pale 2 row
8 oz chocolate malt
8 oz black patent
4 oz de-bittered black malt
8 oz roasted
12 oz crystal 60

1 oz columbus 30 min

WL irish ale yeast

and my lupuline threshold is way twisted. No bitterness in SNPA.

At what temperature did you ferment this? If too hot you may have produced a lot of fusel alcohols (accounting for the kerosene taste). In order words, you may have more than one problem.

That's not hoppy at all. Lots of brewers hop to around 60ibus for a 7% stout. Look at all of founders stouts.
I agree On the term temps.

Ferment temp was pretty Low.66F for most of it, no higher than 67F.

I no longer take OG and FG since all 92 of my brews have turned out predictably (until NOW!) but I may have to dust it off.

The hop flavor has diminished greatly since kegging 3 weeks ago.

Very puzzling. Ferment temps look good, and roasted grains seem in check. hops seems incredibly low too. Only suggestion I can think of is to give it a few months of age and see. I did a coffee porter not to long ago that had an insane bite due to either overdoing the roast grains or leaving the coffee in for too long. Now (2 months + later) it taste great, and the intense taste has subsided.

I think the hops were mismarked. INSANE bitterness from the start, and pronounced hop flavor not consistent with columbus.

Back