Columbus hops smell like marijuana?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ali01

Reaction score
This is my first time using real hops in form of pellets, I decided taste it and have an idea of the aroma and flavor, so I took one pellet and made a tea with it and man it smells like marijuana, I hate the smell of marijuana, it makes me wanna puke, yet it's there, the only reason I bought hops and not hops essence was people said hops add an extra layer of protection against bacteria and that it adds to the flavor and aroma which is something that's missing in essences, so my question is, can I avoid using these hops at the end of the boil to prevent most of the aroma and flavor and focus on bittering instead? And if I add this at the end of the boil too, will the marijuana aroma overcome other aromas in these hops?

Title says "Columbus".

fwiw, in spite of the fairly close relationship between hops and weed - and having over 50-something years of hands-on experience with the latter and 19 years with the former - I've never had the thought "Those hops remind me of weed". That would include Columbus for certain which presumably covers Tomahawk and Zeus as well...

Cheers!

I wouldn't be surprised if others have sensory perceptions that might comingle the two herbs, one never knows. I can say I've been on many islands in the Caribbean where at times my head was on a swivel because I could swear there was stanky weed nearby :)

Cheers!

It's the resiny pungent nature of both plants, I think. Sticking your nose into a freshly opened packet of either can be a similarly heady experience.

OP: Yes, you can use just an early bittering charge and get nearly all bitter, no aroma/flavor.

A friend in college frequently described my fuggles as "dank".

IMO any resemblance in scent raw does not transfer to finished beer, regardless of schedule.
The scent was so strong you could smell it from meters away, so that marijuana aroma/flavor will not be in the finished beer no meter how I schedule adding hops?

When walking in Amsterdam on "De Walletjes", I was actually thinking the whole time "Why does it smell like hops here?".
Haha, I did a whole research and realized those two plants shared the same family, I just wanted to know if the smell will stick around and be in the finished beer

, so my question is, can I avoid using these hops at the end of the boil to prevent most of the aroma and flavor and focus on bittering instead? And if I add this at the end of the boil too, will the marijuana aroma overcome other aromas in these hops?
If you want more bittering, add at the beginning and during of the boil, if you want more aroma/flavor, add at the end or after the wort has cooled to 180F or so, or you can "dry hop" in the fermenter or even in the serving keg.
Columbus is described as having a strong "herbal" flavor and aroma, so if you don't want that in your beer, don't use it as a late addition.
If you haven't seen it yet, I would recommend the book "How to Brew" by John Palmer. There's a free online version available, here's a link to the chapter on using hops:
How are they used? - How to Brew

Try making a weak tea with the hops to get a feeling of what they will taste like if you use them as a late addition. A little goes a long way when making tea for tasting. A whole pellet in a glass or cup of tea will be way too much.

Yes, you can definitely avoid using the hops at the end of the boil to reduce the amount of aroma and flavor they contribute to your beer. This is a common technique used by brewers who want to primarily use hops for their bittering properties rather than their aroma and flavor.

so, keep in mind that even if you use the hops only for bittering, some of the aroma and flavor may still be present in your finished beer. The amount of aroma and flavor will depend on the variety of hops you are using, the amount you add, and the duration of the boil.

I mean...have you ever drank beer before? It sounds like you're asking us if you'll enjoy the taste of beer. They all have hops (basically)

Well maybe not all beer have hops, have you ever tasted an American lager. They say they use hops but I don't know what they use them for, doesn't appear to be their beer.

Yes OP you definitely can use Columbus hops for bittering. Add the hops at the beginning of the boil and boil a low rolling boil for 60 minutes.

Back