Stout RIMS Module..too big?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HD3

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a random question. I am looking to add a RIMS tube to my current system and scrap the direct fire system. I typically only brew 5 gallon batches.

My question is about the Stout Rims Module. I recently acquired the Stout Rims Module/Tube and the thing is huge. It is a 2 inch diameter and 28 inches long. It got me thinking, is the tube too big for 5 gallon batches? I can only imagine the amount of wort needed to fill the tube when recirculating/heating.

Any thoughts? Downsides or advantages to having such a large RIMS tube when doing 5 gallon batches?

Thanks for any thoughts, feedback, etc.

Cheers!

That seems excessive, and I'm not aware of any commonly used elements that would need that much space.

Technically for a 5 gallon batch, the volume shouldn't be too much of a problem, because it's effectively just increased dead space in the mash tun, and you could go with a nominally thinner mash, and sparge less to compensate. That's not necessarily great, but shouldn't be harmful either.

My concern is that any temperature probe at the opposite end of the tube to the heating element is going to be a long way from the element, which means that there will be a considerable time lag between the element overheating the wort, and the temperature sensor reading that out. I notice some lag at slower flow rates even with my BrewHardware 18" long x 1.5" tube. With that much lag in the Stout tube, I'd be concerned that you could boil and scorch wort before the temperature sensor could detect that. You might be able to use a 12" long temperature sensor probe to help mitigate that.

Do a google search for "cartridge heater". And find one that's close to the length of the tube. I wish I knew about those things before I built my RIMS. The volume shouldn't be an issue, just add an extra .35gal to mash.

my rims is over 40" long and uses a 36" long 1800w cartridge heater, works fine for 5 or 10 gallon brews (mines only 1" inside diameter though (its the tube with the siteglass in it below.)..... The stout rims is likely for a larger microbrewery setup.

IMG_20170121_140632324[1].jpg

Hi All,

I have a random question. I am looking to add a RIMS tube to my current system and scrap the direct fire system. I typically only brew 5 gallon batches.

My question is about the Stout Rims Module. I recently acquired the Stout Rims Module/Tube and the thing is huge. It is a 2 inch diameter and 28 inches long. It got me thinking, is the tube too big for 5 gallon batches? I can only imagine the amount of wort needed to fill the tube when recirculating/heating.

Any thoughts? Downsides or advantages to having such a large RIMS tube when doing 5 gallon batches?

Thanks for any thoughts, feedback, etc.

Cheers!

If loss of wort is your concern, try running your sparge water through the rims tube. It not only saves the wort but also cleans the tube a little. The rims tube can also fine tune (re-heat) your sparge water temperature.

If loss of wort is your concern, try running your sparge water through the rims tube. It not only saves the wort but also cleans the tube a little. The rims tube can also fine tune (re-heat) your sparge water temperature.

I'll second that since its exactly what I do with my setup..

Thank you all for the feedback and suggestions. Really appreciate it. Now i just need to find a long and "fat" cartridge heater!

Thanks again. Cheers!

Back