Stout/Porter with alternate base malt

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Synovia

Reaction score
So, I went down the cellar, and it looks like I have about 4lbs of 2-row left. ruh-roh.

I've been thinking about doing a stout with an alternate base malt... I have a bag of Vienna/Munich/Pils. Anyone ever done a vienna based stout? Does it make a difference? Good? Bad? Any thoughts?

I've never done it but I bet it would come out very well. Most Guinness clones have several pounds of roast and flaked barley, so large amounts of pale or pilsner malt is not necessary at all.

Haven't made one, but it sounds like a good idea. More malt flavor in a stout can't be a bad thing.

I've done stouts with all Munich for the base. A rich caramelly sweet stout works great like that. For a dry stout, you probably won't notice the pils. Vienna could add a nice complexity.

ive used munich as the base(i think it was bradsuls recipe?, its in the database with a bunch of reviews though) that i enjoyed

ive recently done one with vienna but havent tasted it yet

Ended up doing something similar to Ed Wort's Robust porter, with 7lbs of Munich and 2.5lbs of 2-row instead of the 9.5 pounds of 2-row my recipe called for.

I had to make some other small substitutions (didn't have enough 40L, so used mostly 40, and some 60). We'll see what happens.

I also broke my digital thermometer, so, I'm not really sure what I mashed at, so they'll be no reproducing this thing.

Back