Story of my last brew day

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

histo320

Reaction score
So as I am sitting here listening to a Brulosphy pod cast and sampling the first pint of a Falconers Flight Pale (which is still green and needs to carb up a bit more) it has me reflecting on the interesting brew day that I had brewing this beer.

There was nothing different in my brew day other than I decided to start the brewing process a bit earlier than I usually do. So as I was mashing in there was an ambulance, a police car, and SUV from the fire department speeding down my street. At first I thought someone called the police on me but the stopped at my neighbors house.

In the house there is an older couple (60s) and their son who is in his 30s. I've talked to all of them a few times but nothing more than being a neighbor. As I continued to go about my brewing process more unmarked police cars started showing up along with me having a few other neighbors stop by my garage to see what the ruckus was all about.

As I was sparging the ambulance and the SUV from the fire department left and I thought all was done but a few other cars and another ambulance arrived which ended up being the coroner. I had no idea what was going on at this time or who the coroner was there for.

As other neighbors left to go about their day I continued to go about my brew day. I have to admit I was a little reluctant knowing that I was having a very enjoyable experience while something very bad happened 25 feet away from where I was brewing.

About the time boil started I was getting my hose ready for my wort chiller and I see a body bag on a stretcher along with the father walking with the paramedics and other investigators. This was a sight that I will never ever forget but at the moment I just continued to go about my own business.

Not being close with the family and not wanting to get involved in their business, I didn't ask any questions about what happened. Now that it has been 3 weeks, I still don't know what happened other than knowing that this family lost a Veteran, former Fire Fighter, and their son at the same age as I am. I do not know what happened and honestly it doesn't matter to me.

I talked to the father earlier this week and I didn't mention anything about what occurred a few weeks ago, I just continued our typical conversations about our on going "yard competition," and he walked away with a bit of a smile. This very well may have been the first conversation he has had that wasn't about the loss of his son and I think he really enjoyed it.

I am not sure while I felt the need to share this story but it is something that has crossed my mind every single day and the sights of that day will never leave me.

that's a powerful and deep story. I haven't heard why you are deciding to stop brewing. Care to share?
Hope you take some time to contemplate, meditate, pray or what you need to do to find peace after that experience.

i thought that was just the last brew day he had?

and yeah, the powers that be would rather everyone worshiped them.....just why i love drinking rotten food so much! (see sig for explanation)

that's a powerful and deep story. I haven't heard why you are deciding to stop brewing. Care to share?
Hope you take some time to contemplate, meditate, pray or what you need to do to find peace after that experience.

Yeah, I think "story of my most recent brew day" might have been more clear.

But damn that's a rough story.

Meh. Life is a contact sport. Sooner or later you are going down.
I'm a soldier, so perspective is everything.
Live your life, love your people, and drink good beer, for some day you won't be able to.
Bottom line: appreciate what you have, and enjoy life in honor of those who can't.

Glad you shared this because it gives us all a chance to be thankful for all we have and have been given. For the family, for all of our lives and health. Amen. I dont know who or care who or what anyone prays to if at all, but dang I'm grateful that's not me.

Back