Storm preparation.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

westo2

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
18-24" snow called for by Wednesday AM.

Plenty of beer and cider on tap. A few bottles of barleywine in the fridge.

Oh yeah, milk, eggs, bread... yadda yadda.

Snow tires got put back on the car last week, and if it gets really nasty I won't have to go anywhere anyways.

I love a good snowstorm.

StormTotalSnowFcst.png

Eh, our natural disasters just mean that you stay home from work for a day or two, rather than having your house taken into the next county by a tornado, or swamped under 10' of water by a flood.

Part of my job is disaster response - I've seen things that make me appreciate winter here in Buffalo.

I'll take it.

Sweet looking storm. I think some bigwig from the county moved in somewhere near me now since I get my road plowed pretty quick. Used to take them days but now it seems same day I get plowed out.

Enjoy the storm:mug:

18-24" snow called for by Wednesday AM.

Plenty of beer and cider on tap. A few bottles of barleywine in the fridge.

Oh yeah, milk, eggs, bread... yadda yadda.

Snow tires got put back on the car last week, and if it gets really nasty I won't have to go anywhere anyways.

I love a good snowstorm.

It's refreshing to see there are still people out there who are not only prepared, but enjoy a good storm! As long as I'm home, safe & warm, let those storms howl & rage all they want! I'll watch from the window & smile; cuz I know when it's done, the ski slopes will be open & full of fresh powder. :rockin:
Regards, GF.

It's refreshing to see there are still people out there who are not only prepared, but enjoy a good storm! As long as I'm home, safe & warm, let those storms howl & rage all they want! I'll watch from the window & smile; cuz I know when it's done, the ski slopes will be open & full of fresh powder. :rockin:
Regards, GF.

Why not embrace it? Ditto on getting the ski slopes up and running sooner. And the kids are finally getting old enough that I can just release them to play in the backyard for a few hours.

And the best time to brew? During a snow storm!

Brewing a Rye IPA during snow storm last year. Was a minor event, so ended up having 4 others show up over the course of the day to lend a hand and down a pint.

621130_10100878054009678_7932850_o.jpg

Eh, our natural disasters just mean that you stay home from work for a day or two, rather than having your house taken into the next county by a tornado, or swamped under 10' of water by a flood.

Part of my job is disaster response - I've seen things that make me appreciate winter here in Buffalo.

I'll take it.

I have a house in Boston, NY, WNY clears the roads better than anyone.
Although I guarantee, if you go to Tops/Wegmans today, there won't be a loaf of bread on the shelf. Like people are going to starve to death in 2 days.
RDWHAHB

I'll take it.

According to the map I'm due for 18"-24".

I'm not ready for this. I haven't finished raking yet. Plus, my kids are away at school and my wife has a bum knee, so I'll have to shovel it all myself. :D

I recognize those lakes. I sure hope that pattern isn't heading North-East. Anything but North-East...

Bummer. The lake effect bands stayed further south than they initially forecast - means there's barely a dusting outside my house. My office is a ghost town however as half the people who work here live and commute from the southtowns of Buffalo. Supposedly, they got his with 2-3 feet in some areas.

Meh. We are getting a steady light snow resulting in a few inches aver a few days. Last night we had about 2-3 inches and I finally put the AC units in the garage, parked the trailer, put away the patio furniture... You know, all teh stuff that should have been done weeks ago! Then I shoveled the drives and dusted off the cars. Except for the wind it's been pretty nice out. I think the worst thing at this point is how early it gets dark out.

Yeah man... It's sunny and if it wasn't so windy it would almost be warm on Grand Island. I'm the only dope in the office aside from the ones that live on the island. So disappointing. Guess I can design some beer labels for HBT people today. Was looking forward to a snowday for my birthday too.

We haven't gotten anything but rain yet. But, finally got the yard cleaned up over the weekend, got the patio furniture put away, and got the generator out, started and gassed up just in case. Now the biggest issue is that my plowing tractor still doesn't have an engine in it...that's the next task so I can get the blower mounted and running, then I'll be ready.

One of my cousins moved from the prairie to Washington DC and immediately noticed a change - back home, in advance of a storm, people stocked up on water, batteries, gasoline, bread, etc. In DC, people stock up on wine and chocolate.

I went to the store on Sunday evening and picked up some staples, including 2 gallons of milk, 5 dozen eggs, and 4 boxes of cereal - but that was unrelated to the predicted snow. That's simply what we call "Sunday" around my house. The kids consume that regardless of the weather.

We got it last week- a bit north of us our friends got over 36" in a very short period of time (something like 5 inches an hour), and made the national news- but we got less than that here. Then it got cold. That sucks worse than shoveling the roof. Bob shoveled the roof (that he could reach) even on the garage already, and the house twice. Usually that's a late winter thing.

Right now, it's been too cold to snow much (only a couple of inches last night) and the sun is shining brightly. But it's very cold, with a nasty north wind besides.

I hate winter!

It hit about three feet of snow overnight, all around us. There is essentially, a clear path of sun from my house to work with no snow. So sad.

Sure. We'll get just enough to make things a pain in the arse and not enough to get shut down. Just went for a walk on lunch break down the road to see the new house that's going up; the crew is putting the roof on right this minute. Oh well. I've got a fridge full of beer for the weekend I guess.

Bah, 18 to 24 inches by tomorrow is no big thing. It's the possible 60 inches total by Friday that will make this storm count.

Hardly anything in the forecast over my way. :mug:

My friends can't even get out of their house like ten minutes away. So its frustrating being at work when half the salaried engineers just didn't come in. On the bright side, the boss just went to the store to get a bunch of beer for us.

20 minutes west of Buffalo on the Canadian side it's clear and sunny. Looking out my window towards Buffalo I can see the cloud cover. I wish we were getting the snow too. Supposed to get around 3 - 5 inches tonight into tomorrow.

20 minutes west of Buffalo on the Canadian side it's clear and sunny. Looking out my window towards Buffalo I can see the cloud cover. I wish we were getting the snow too. Supposed to get around 3 - 5 inches tonight into tomorrow.

x2jhgo.jpg

Hey neighbor! There are some pretty ominous pictures floating around from the little storm this morning. My friends down the road are on pace to get 70" by tonight.

Wow! That's crazy! You guys always seem to get hit hard. We usually get the tail end of the storms but they sometimes drop some heavy snowfall. Nothing like what Buffalo normally gets though.

Looking out my window towards Buffalo.

storm pic.jpg

The line of demarcation - to the south - 30-48" of snow. To the north, a dusting. That's downtown Buffalo in the lower right of the picture, Lake Erie on the right, the image is taken looking towards the south.

Here in North Buffalo/West side - blue skies and sun.

overhead.jpg

Latest posts

Back