Storing Brewing Equipment In Garage

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Monkey55

Reaction score
Hey Everyone,

I haven't been around, nor have I brewed in beer in about a year and half due to some health challenges that I've been dealing with.

I always stored my buckets and the rest of my equipment inside my house, which reaches no higher than 76*. (I live in SoCal and also pump the A/C... :D )

As it looks right now, I won't be brewing for a long time, that's if I ever brew again.. I know..... So sad... However, that's life and I need to keep moving forward..

So, here is my big question. Is it safe to store all of my equipment in my garage? I know it gets pretty hot in there. I can image it can reach up 120* in there. I'm really concerned that if I ever get back into brewing, that my plastic buckets, lids, and spigots will warp or off-gas and won't be useable.

Thanks,
E

My garage in FL get up to 100-102° I've never seen it get hotter than that when I've bothered to look.
I stored all my stuff in garage for several years with no issues. Only caveat would be ingredients. I wouldn't leave any malt, hops, or yeast at those temp, but equipment should be just fine

I store all my gear in the garage all year. They might warp if you jam then in between things. IMO, If you are using plastic that off gas you may not want to be making beer with them.

Thanks for responses. That makes me feel better..

BTW - I only use food grade equipment or equipment made for brewing.

I totally forgot that there tons of people who have their "lab" in their garage.

Oh yeah.. The only ingredients I have is hops. They have been in my freezer for over a year. I doubt that they still tasty.

E

I store all of my stuff in the garage all year. I only just got a grain mill in November, so basically I know I'd move my grain buckets indoors or my soon shed, but the rest of the stuff has been totally fine in the garage.

A year in the freezer is fine if they are vacuum sealed.

And I wouldn't worry about your equipment either.

Get healthy and get back in the game!

I find old well stored hops good for all applications. Vacuum bagged and frozen.

If I know I will be keeping hops for more than a year (not anticipated so far) I would use a vacuum and mason jar. I am sure I have some that are well over a year old. I have not detected any problems with them so far.

I find old well stored hops good for all applications. Vacuum bagged and frozen.

If I know I will be keeping hops for more than a year (not anticipated so far) I would use a vacuum and mason jar. I am sure I have some that are well over a year old. I have not detected any problems with them so far.

Thanks guys.. All of this talk is making me want to brew again.. Too bad I can't drink beer anymore.. for now, I hope.

I might try a batch of cider in the near future. However, I can only drink a half bottle of cider anyway..

My hops are still in the vacuum sealed bag they came in.. So, cool..

Oh yeah, I replaced my beer brewing and drinking with juicing and watching my grass grow... ;)

E

Back