Home Brew Hack near Portland, Oregon.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmac8

Reaction score
Coming back to brewing after about 8 year absence. Sold my old white buckets and everything in a garage sale... just upgraded by buying a used, stainless steel all-grain system, mostly Blichmann equipment. I have only ever brewed in my wife's kitchen and made a mess... now I have the better setup, including a great propane burner and pumps for transfers... problem is, I don't know what I am doing! Back to square one. I'm looking for discussion and help from the good people here. Happy to be back!

Welcome from Missouri!
For a detailed brew day sheet try:

https://www.brewersfriend.com/brewdaysheets/
They've got a wealth of templates, calculators, and tools to assist you.

If you can't find what you're looking for there, post a question here. There's always someone that can answer your specific question.
Sounds like you're off to a great start with the equipment that you've purchased.
Good luck and keep us posted.

Thank you--Brewer's Friend looks great...just registering...

Honestly, I was feeling pretty discouraged, and I'm hoping this forum will pick me up. I was not bad at 5-gallon box recipe kits. I cleaned well, bottled carefully, and those batches always went great... but I just spent some money (early Christmas present) and bought a stainless setup...stand, propane burner... Blichmann controls and vessels... and my head is spinning.

Went to a local brew supply place and they were pretty F'n rude with me. Apparently I wasn't asking the right questions...I would have walked away but I took the high road and bought a few things... I picked up 25 lbs. of 2-row Rahr malt and some cascade hops. I am just trying to make the simplest ale I can make to better understand the new equipment... I am LOST. I still need to grab yeast and I need to maybe get some large bottles of drinking water. I've got the capacity to make at least a 10-gallon batch. Trying to get myself started.

Welcome bMac8! Nice to have another newb from oregon here. I’m just over in Tualatin.

I‘ve had great success with Main Brew out in Hillsboro. Very helpful, willing to answer my stupid questions and have never let me down. I started with a shop across the river from you and didn’t have the support.

I cannot help you much with the equipment other than to say keep at it. I have a Propane burner and a Gas One 10 gallon kettle. I finally after about 4 or 5 batches have a pretty good hold on my mash temp by adjusting the flame on the burner and watching it. As far as recipe's go, Morebeer has some good single hop ale recipes that I have used. Cascade, Motueka and Chinook so far and I can tell the differences of each. Lemon Drop hops are my next one. I think it was about 10 pounds of 2 Row and 12 ounces of Crystal 15L. One half ounce of Magnum at 60 mins, then 2 oz of the hop you are using at 10 and 1 mins with 2 oz of that hop for a dry hop. I usually dry hop 3 to 5 days depending on my schedule. Simple Ale yeast, I used Cali and off you go. Take a look if you are interested in trying different style of hops with the same basic grain bill. They have all turned out pretty good and were very easy to do. Good luck and I am sure somebody will chime in with good info on your equipment as well.

Thank you--Brewer's Friend looks great...just registering...

Honestly, I was feeling pretty discouraged, and I'm hoping this forum will pick me up. I was not bad at 5-gallon box recipe kits. I cleaned well, bottled carefully, and those batches always went great... but I just spent some money (early Christmas present) and bought a stainless setup...stand, propane burner... Blichmann controls and vessels... and my head is spinning.

Went to a local brew supply place and they were pretty F'n rude with me. Apparently I wasn't asking the right questions...I would have walked away but I took the high road and bought a few things... I picked up 25 lbs. of 2-row Rahr malt and some cascade hops. I am just trying to make the simplest ale I can make to better understand the new equipment... I am LOST. I still need to grab yeast and I need to maybe get some large bottles of drinking water. I've got the capacity to make at least a 10-gallon batch. Trying to get myself started.
Sounds like you've got the makings of a good SMASH brew (single malt and single hop).
My own preference is to always keep a couple packets of US-05 yeast on hand. Very clean fermenting and I've never had a failure.
Since you're feeling intimidated by your system, why not have a dry run? Cut back on the water and boil times and test the pumps and transfers. Can't hurt and you'll feel more confident.

Coming back to brewing after about 8 year absence. Sold my old white buckets and everything in a garage sale... just upgraded by buying a used, stainless steel all-grain system, mostly Blichmann equipment. I have only ever brewed in my wife's kitchen and made a mess... now I have the better setup, including a great propane burner and pumps for transfers... problem is, I don't know what I am doing! Back to square one. I'm looking for discussion and help from the good people here. Happy to be back!
You could simplify the process and look into Brew in a Bag (BIAB) utilizing 1 vessel for mashing and boiling. Basically soaking milled grain at whatever temp you choose (146-156F) for x amount of time (most brewers do anywhere from 30-90 min depending on recipe). Then you only have 1 vessel to clean and no pumps. I use a 15 gallon kettle on a propane burner, and I can make up to a 10 gallon batch, although I routinely do 5 gallons.

I've seen plenty of 3 vessel systems in action, and they look awesome, but you can cut down on cleaning time and streamline your brew day. Food for thought.

Back