Storing bottles on their side

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mishkin

Reaction score
I've had my bottles sitting upright at room temp. for about 3 weeks now to get them carbonated. I'm planning on lagering them now but they only fit in the fridge lying on their side. Is there any disadvantage in doing this?

I don't think there's any real problem other than having a bit of sediment on the side of the bottle rather than the bottom. You can fix that by setting them upright a few days before drinking (you'd only have to do that a few bottles at a time unless you're having a party).

The biggest possible problem I see is leakage if you have a bad seal on a cap or two. Check 'em after a few hours to make sure you don't have a leaker.

And how cold is too cold for lagering? the only cold place i can store them is an old freezer where i turn the temperature right up and I can get it to 32 degrees fahrenheit.
In a few days I should be getting one of these bad boys but it will mainly be used for controlling the temperature of the fridge part where i store my fermenter and not the freezer.
Is it true you need a licensed electrician to install the thermostat? I don't want to pay that sort of money.

fridgemate.jpg

You'll have to check your local codes to see if a licensed electrician is required to wire a thermostat. It is certainly not a requirement in Texas.

Who will know anyway if you don't tell 'em?

Good luck then. If you're not sure what circuit it is on your breaker panel, pull the main and just kill all your power. Never wire anything on a live circuit.

Mishkin said:
And how cold is too cold for lagering? the only cold place i can store them is an old freezer where i turn the temperature right up and I can get it to 32 degrees fahrenheit.
In a few days I should be getting one of these bad boys but it will mainly be used for controlling the temperature of the fridge part where i store my fermenter and not the freezer.
Is it true you need a licensed electrician to install the thermostat? I don't want to pay that sort of money.

fridgemate.jpg
As long as you do your work to local building codes, I don't think you need a licensed electrician to do any of your home projects. You may have to get permits and then have a code inspector look over your work - things your electrician usually takes care of for you - but I've never seen a home project that a layperson, with a little knowledge of local codes, couldn't take on themself without running afoul of the authorities.

Back