Storage and Shelf Life for ingrediants

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DSeibel

Reaction score
Guys,

After asking around my city it appears there is not much availability for good ingrediants so it looks like I may be stuck to ordering online. Below is a list of ingrediants....if someone can tell me the aprox shelf life and also storage temps for these items that would be great.

-LME
-DME
-Grains
-Hops
-Yeast
-Corn Sugar

I realize these will be rough numbers and would likely have to look at specific types but for now rough numbers is all I am looking for.

Thanks

Dave

-LME Room temp prefferably less than a year. Can refridgerate for longer.

-DME Room temp in the dark for up to 2 years

-Grains RT 1 year NOT CRUSHED

-Hops Deep Freeze, 1 year with approx 1-3% Alpha loss.

-Yeast Refridgerator, Liquid see packing for use by date. For Dry 1 to 2 years with 1% viability loss.

-Corn Sugar See DME.

For the dry good it helps to have the silica gel pouches. For grain get an airtight container.

LME probably keeps OK for up to about 2 years, but it gets darker as it gets older. It is best if used within 6 months of manufacture.
DME keeps much better than LME and doesn't suffer so much from the darkening. I have successfully used DME that was about 3 years old (but it was kept dry).
Grains keep for a year or more if uncrushed, but only a few weeks if crushed. Need to be kept dry and cool (< 80F)
Hops need to be kept in the freezer and away from oxygen. I keep them in vacuum bags (Foodsaver), and they last at least 1 year without noticeable degredation
Dry yeast lasts at least 1 year, and I have successfully used some that was about 2 years old. It is best kept in the fridge.
Liquid yeasts degrade quite quickly. They are best used withing 3 months of manufacture, but can last for a year or so if you have the pacience to make a starter and step it up a few times. Again, keep in the fridge.
Corn sugar lasts for years.

The above recommendations are my opinions. Others may disagree with them.

-a.

Awsome guys thanks. So it obviously appears that ordering online for a long term supply is viable. Saying that do you guys know of any good online stores to order from, preferably with reasonable shipping? I would likely order ingrediants for 4-6 batches at a time so hopefully they would give me a break on shipping.

Around here its hard to get stuff, I live in Ontario Canada. At least hops, everyone is saying there is a hop shortage and noone has any, and those that do they are expensive so hopefully I can find something online thats reasonable.

Speaking of which, I am looking for some good recipes to try next, something extract based for now as I am a newbie. And keep in mind I can only ferment at room temp, about 20ish degrees Celsius. I am working on getting a chest freezer and a dual stage temp controler but its realistically a few months out.

Dave

Austinhomebrew.com and northernbrewer.com both have flat rate shipping ($6.99 at AHS, $7.99 at NB). I get much of my yeast, grains, DME, etc, there. Nothernbrewer makes you buy a whole pound of stuff, though, so I usually order from AHS- they let you order 2 ounces of this, 6 ounces of that, etc.

If you want some good extract recipes/kits, both online stores have them and I've used several of them. I'm more familiar with austinhomebrew.com's, and I've done the Fat Tire clone, Pete's Wicked Ale clone, and several others. I was very happy with the kits- good instructions all ALL ingredients listed with the recipe and the steps. You can order liquid or dry yeast with each kit.

In addition, I've looked at Brewmaster's Warehouse, but haven't bought from them yet. It looks great, though, and others have had good results.

Morebeer.com has free shipping on orders over $69, and I've ordered from them in the past with good service.

In addition, I've looked at Brewmaster's Warehouse, but haven't bought from them yet. It looks great, though, and others have had good results.

Just to let everyone know that has not shopped with us. You can order down to the ounce of any grain, or DME that we carry. You are not limited by having to order by the pound, or even 2 ounce increments. If you want 1 ounce of 2 row, you can order it, and pay the 1/16 of a pound cost. We do not mark up any prices due to fraction of a pound/increments.

Thanks,

Ed

How would you guys suggest storing coriander and dried orange peels? I ordered a lot of ingredients for the first time and I didn't even think about how to store some of the items.

Back