Stopping Fermentation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Noz03

Reaction score
I know it may not be ideal, but I am wondering how effective using only potasium sorbate (wine stabiliser) to stop a fermentation? Specifically on lemon wine/fruit wines? My plan is to brew a 20L batch to around 10% with wine yeast, then drop the 4g packet of sorbate in and sweeten in the bottle a week later, or maybe put the sugar in a day after the sorbate or something like that.

I know the PROPER way is to use a secondary fermenter, and I think another chemical along with sorbate but I like to keep things simple as possible, and I find a lot of the things that we "should" do are often not really needed. I usually store in soda bottles anyway so am not too worried about them popping their corks and making a mess.

Don't even try. To stop an active fermentation requires that there is NO yeast left in the wine. Sorbate will not kill yeast, it just keeps it from reproducing so it eventually quits and wine yeast is not affected by sulfites, that's why we use sulfites to kill unwanted yeasts and not kill wine yeasts.

The only real way is to sterile filter and that is very difficult for a home winemaker.

Let it finish, stabilize and then do what you want. Back sweeten, dilute or just bottle.

Let it finish, stabilize and then do what you want. Back sweeten, dilute or just bottle.

I'm kind of confused, that is what I planned to do no? After it finishes, drop in a 4g packet of the sorbate which I linked to, then sweeten it. Maybe my title was misleading, I mean to stop it when it is almost stopped already, you know that period at the end where it barely bubbles.

I just don't get why if as many people say you need multiple chemicals, wine stabilisers which I find online only contain sorbate. Which is why I think it would be fine, after the wine has already pretty much finished that is.

As DoctorCAD said, stopping an active fermantation with sorbate requires very little to no yeast.

As far as I know you should use sulphite combined with your sorbate. I'd check the recommended mixing ratio, add it into a sanitized carboy and rack your finished wine onto that.

Maybe some more experienced wine makers here can confirm?

Back