Is this a good idea?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

itsjustapollo

Reaction score
I am thinking about making a fruit wine out lemons, oranges, and limes.
Furthermore, I have already juiced some sugar cane manually. I have an airlock, bottles
and fermenting buckets all sanitised but I am having second thoughts.
Should I go through with it?

I have never fermented citrus, but I understand it can be challenging due to the acidity. I have also heard that it doesn't taste all that good when fermented, words like "vomit" have been used to describe the taste.

That said, skeeter pee is a popular fermented lemon beverage. Look it up, it may give you some ideas to start, and you can mix it up a little with the orher fruits.

The acidity of citrus juice will kill lots of yeast cells. Take gravity readings from time to time during fermentation and if it's stuck, be ready to re-pitch fresh yeast. Add yeast nutrient with it each time.

I made a hard lemonade from reconstituted frozen lemonade and limeade from the grocery store. I had to re-pitch 3 times. Took a couple months to ferment and turned out OK.

Never again.

Another vote for Skeeter Pee--that's much more straightforward. Very refreshing, too.

I am thinking about making a fruit wine out lemons, oranges, and limes.
Furthermore, I have already juiced some sugar cane manually.
Fermenting citrus generally is not reccomended. Get some turbo yeast and make a seltzer with your sugar cane juice and use the citrus to add flavor.

I've made hard lemon-limeade many times from frozen -ades. I use 6 cans of each, 4 lbs sugar, and some nutrient. Add wine yeast and walk away for a few weeks or months. Bottle/keg, chill, and enjoy. With your ingredients, I think I'd start the syrup fermenting with maybe 1/3 of the citrus, and add in the other 2/3 a week or so later.

Back