Raisen Sherry wine to fortify or not to fortify

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

crevie

Reaction score
This is a raisen Sherry wine I'm working on. It's 6 months old now. Just tasted it and it's lovely. Very dry and a little cloudy though. It needs back sweetened but first of all I need to stop the fermentation completely with Potassium Sorbate, 24 hours then Camden tablet. I thought I'd then cold crash it for a week then rack, fortify, back sweeten, degas then bottle. I reckon the ABV is at least 15%. Hard to get a decent gravity reading originally what with all the sediment from the Raisens. Tastes quite strong in alcohol which is kinda what you want with a Sherry wine. Not a 100% on fortifying as its taken me 6 months to get to this stage and it would be really easy to ruin a perfectly nice wine. Pearson square additions are a bit hit and miss and I think it's better to do it by taste and aim for adding less than I need. I've got some Martell cognac and also some cheap spiced rum I could use. Might need chemically finned for the cloudiness but don't want to reduce the flavour so not sure. Considered a Harris filter but it's not a competition wine and it's a lot of effort and expense just for better clarity. It'll need a year or two in the bottle.

Attachments

• 20230228_141335.jpg
    20230228_141335.jpg
    6.5 MB · Views: 0
Back