Stir Shandy after Ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSUCatBrewer

Reaction score
Hi all,

I did my last extract kit before moving to all grain tonight, and I picked a grapefruit shandy for my wife. Interesting point in the instructions...

You add the grapefruit flavor after fermentation. The directions CLEARY state to stir rigorously and then let it sit an additional 48 hours to let the yeast re-settle prior to bottling (which further affirms they really want you to shake it...)

This seems to break all the rules. Has anybody tried one of these kits? You don't boil them...but I can't imagine how that would change wanting to avoid aeration after fermentation. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Stirring after fermentation and no boil. Instructions sound interesting. Can you provide a link to the kit?

Instructions should have said, "Stir well but slowly without any splashing which will introduce air into the beer causing oxidation."

Instructions should also have cautioned against pouring hot wort into a glass fermentor.

Just stir gently like you may do after adding the priming sugar solution to a bottling bucket to make sure it is evenly distributed.

I've made this exact kit and the wife loves it. Me, not so much. Not my flavor. I didn't stir grapefruit flavoring at all. Slowing poured it in and let it sit for two days. Turned out fine.

Been 24 hours. No bubbling. I pitched at 77 degrees...a little warm but shouldn't have been devastating...hang tight or should I get another yeast packet and repitch?

Still nothing today. I'll keep waiting. I put it in the fermenter at 10:00 pm Wednesday. Been exactly 48 hours.

Hold tight. Mine took 2 days minimum to do anything. Then went nuts for 2 days, and then done. Leave it for at least 14 days in primary

You were right! It's finally starting to go! 3 day wait...kinda odd...but thanks for the advice! I would have started screwing with it if you hadn't clued me in to your experience!

Awesome. Glad to help. Now get ready for it to stall around 1.020ish in 2-3 days. Warm it up a bit if you need too, maybe 66-68 degrees and it will finish nicely around 1.006-1.008. It will then be delicious.

Latest posts

Back