Still or Carbed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How many volumes CO2 do people usually target for carbed?

I don't know about all that volumes yet so let me say that I try to get my ciders a little more carbd than beer but not soda high.

still! back in the early days of cider they didn't have kegs and compressed CO2, so i like to recreate what was drank "back in the day"...

conrad

I like few things carbonated- not wine, not cider, not mead for sure!

I like still dry cider.

I like beer carbonated. I do not drink soda or other sugary drinks, so the only thing I drink carbonated is beer- the rest is still.

"petillant" - very slightly carbed, just over saturation - is perfect for cider IMHO. Usually though I carb it up in a keg, to 10 psi or so, and just let it fizz out in the glass. I find it tastes better as it goes flat; the complex flavors from the cider fruit are masked by the carbonation.

This also works great for bottling out of the keg - I can just fill from the tap and it will be "petillant" in the bottle. The foam displaces air from the bottle so the cider doesn't oxidize much.

Back