Still half way under a rock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DReimerMT

Reaction score
My wife and I went to the grocery this past weekend and had an interesting conversation with the cashier. We were having the usually small talk when she noticed we weren't buying any beer and the conversation was as follows:
Cashier "I think you two are the first I have come through and not have beer today."
Me "I still have a lot at home. I think two cases of bottles and two kegs."
Cashier (really questioning look) "Why do you have so much?"
Me "I homebrew and make my own beer, it is great!"
Cashier "Are you sure that is legal?"
Me "Yeahhhh legal in all 50 states now..."
There was silence for the rest of the transaction followed by my wife and I bursting out laughing as soon as we were out the door.
I know I live in Montana and people can be strange here, but do any of you guys encounter people like this still?

It's even worse in Northern Michigan. The majority of the people in the town where I graduated high school, a little town called Hillman, over in Montmorency County, (smack dab in the middle of nowhere as the saying goes.) are so willfully ignorant about everyday, common sense things, that the rest of the state refers to them as 'Jack Pine Savages'. For example, my Mom and Dad's neighbor who lived at the end of the road, was of the opinion that you didn't have to change the oil on your car ever. "It says maintenance free when you pop the hood." My Dad shakes his head and tries patiently to explain, "Don, that just means the battery...you still have to change your oil every 3,000 miles." And the fool wonders why a few weeks later, the engine on his car seized up. It's exactly like Ron White says....."You can't fix stupid. There is not a pill you can take, there is not a class you can go to. Stupid is FOREVER!!!"

Yes, of course you need to change your oil, but... well, actually...

Oil technology has changed enormously over the last 30 years making the 3,000-mile oil change unnecessary in nearly all vehicles. The majority of automakers today call for oil changes at either 7,500 or 10,000 miles, and the interval can go as high as 15,000 miles in some cars. Yet this wasteful cycle continues largely because the automotive service industry, while fully aware of the technological advances, continues to preach the 3,000-mile gospel as a way to keep the service bays busy. As a result, even the most cautious owners are dumping their engine oil twice as often as their service manuals recommend. After interviews with oil experts, mechanics and automakers, one thing is clear: The 3,000-mile oil change is a myth that should be laid to rest. Failing to heed the service interval in your owner's manual wastes oil and money, while compounding the environmental impact of illicit waste-oil dumping.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

Yes, of course you need to change your oil, but... well, actually...

Oil technology has changed enormously over the last 30 years making the 3,000-mile oil change unnecessary in nearly all vehicles. The majority of automakers today call for oil changes at either 7,500 or 10,000 miles, and the interval can go as high as 15,000 miles in some cars. Yet this wasteful cycle continues largely because the automotive service industry, while fully aware of the technological advances, continues to preach the 3,000-mile gospel as a way to keep the service bays busy. As a result, even the most cautious owners are dumping their engine oil twice as often as their service manuals recommend. After interviews with oil experts, mechanics and automakers, one thing is clear: The 3,000-mile oil change is a myth that should be laid to rest. Failing to heed the service interval in your owner's manual wastes oil and money, while compounding the environmental impact of illicit waste-oil dumping.

http://www.edmunds.com/car-care/stop-changing-your-oil.html

I change mine every 8000.

It also depends on how you drive & how many miles you tally up per month. I used to drive some 300-365M per week when I was still working. And here's a YouTube video of a radio broadcast that's a real doozy...

Last edited by a moderator:
Back