still cider, sweeten just before drinking?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThePrisoner

Reaction score
If you are doing a still cider, do you sweeten just before drinking?
I see the general recommendation for 1/8 cup sugar to carb, do you put the same in for a still?

If you are doing a still cider, do you sweeten just before drinking?
I see the general recommendation for 1/8 cup sugar to carb, do you put the same in for a still?

If you are making a still cider, you don't add priming sugar.

I don't sweeten ciders or wines very often, as I like them dry but you can sweeten them before bottling or when you drink them. Some German friends add sprite to their cider, but I never have tried that as I hate sweet drinks.

If you are making a still cider, you don't add priming sugar.

I don't sweeten ciders or wines very often, as I like them dry but you can sweeten them before bottling or when you drink them. Some German friends add sprite to their cider, but I never have tried that as I hate sweet drinks.

I meant sugar for a still in this case?
Add sugar and then immediately pasteurize/cold crash or just add sugar when serving? and how much sugar should be added to a still?

I meant sugar for a still in this case?
Add sugar and then immediately pasteurize/cold crash or just add sugar when serving? and how much sugar should be added to a still?

I'd stabilize and sweeten, but if you don't want to do that you could add sugar when serving.

As to how much sugar to add, I can't answer that. I have no idea how much sweetness you like. I hate sweet things, so my answer is "0" for my taste. You may not like 0, you might like more.

If you add a teaspoon, and it's not enough, couldn't you add more?

I have put my still cider in a pitcher next to a pitcher of non-fermented sweet cider and let my guests 'mix their own' to their own taste.

I typically store my still cider in the really big mason jars since there is no pressure.

Remember, the sugar added to carb is consumed by the yeast while they are carbing the final product, leaving a dry sparkling result. It isn't in there to make a sweet result unless someone is using the pasteurize in bottle technique.

I'm with Yooper that I add no sugar to still cider as I like it dry. If you like some sweetness, I'd add sugar to taste and then sample the SG so you can make more repeatable results in the future.

Remember, the sugar added to carb is consumed by the yeast while they are carbing the final product, leaving a dry sparkling result. It isn't in there to make a sweet result unless someone is using the pasteurize in bottle technique.

I'm with Yooper that I add no sugar to still cider as I like it dry. If you like some sweetness, I'd add sugar to taste and then sample the SG so you can make more repeatable results in the future.

Thought the pasteurising was to stop it carving up more?
Therefore always leaving some sweet residue

You're right. If you stop the yeast from consuming all the sugar (pasteurization) then you will have a a sweeter (and less carbonated) drink.

I keg my cider and usually add a can of apple juice concentrate for five gallons. It just takes the edge off the dry cider. I'm not sure how to replicate that while bottling, but that's how I like mine. Crisp and refreshing, but not bone dry.

Correct. I guess I combined two possibilities there. You can add priming sugar and just let it ride to get dry sparkling cider. Or, you can add priming sugar, let it go for a bit and then pasteurize to stop the yeast for a sweet sparkling cider.

Correct. I guess I combined two possibilities there. You can add priming sugar and just let it ride to get dry sparkling cider. Or, you can add priming sugar, let it go for a bit and then pasteurize to stop the yeast for a sweet sparkling cider.

Should it clear before I bottle it or will or clear when I cold crash the bottle?
What about if I pasteurise the bottles, how do I clear the cider then?

Back