Still bubbling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thundercougarfalconbird

Reaction score
So, I made a blue moon clone 3 weeks ago using White labs WLP400. Although I dont plan to move it to a keg for another week, it kinda worries me that it is still bubbling away(Super high alcohol?).
My first beer moved for all of maybe a week and a half.
Should I stop sweating it and let it roll for the last week? I suppose I just need to take a gravity reading. Just seems odd to be bubbling pretty frequently after almost a month.

Edit: I suppose I COULD keg it now since its a wit and it never REALLY clears completely. But as long as leaving it sit doesn't hurt it, I know beer gets better with patience.

What was the OG and what temp has it been fermenting at. Cooler temps tend to lead to longer fermentations. Some belgian yeasts keep releasing Co2 for a bit after it's done fermenting, namely the strong ale.

1.53OG if i remember correctly. Its been fermenting in a room that averages 62-68.suppose that would slow it down a bit, I didn't figure the temp could affect fermentation time THAT much.

On December 18 I brewed a Belgian Wit using WLP400. I fermented at about 68 degrees. There was still bubbling until almost four weeks later when I bottled. I think it was mostly because I racked to secondary when there was still active fermentation after 10 days, and that slowed down the process. (I'm not planning on using a secondary fermenter anymore, unless I want to dry hop or something.) I also read that even after fermentation is complete, there will be bubbling in the airlock from C02 in suspension in your beer. I believe that's what happened to me.

Even though there was a month of bubbling, my beer ended up barely higher than 4% ABV, and hit the FG target for the kit I made.

Bottom line, don't bottle or keg something that's actively still fermenting. The lack of bubbles doesn't prove anything, but active bubbling is active fermenting. Let it alone for a while.

I have nothing to add to the body of this thread, but I had to comment that I love your username.

"I understand and it's wonderful that you don't care whether anyone questions your sexual orientation."

Yea, 1.053 =P Its at 1.013 which puts it just above 5% ABV so I guess Im good. Imma take another measurement halfway through the week and one this coming weekend, if they're the same to the keg it goes =P
Just seemed like a super long fermentation.

Back