Cider newbie secondary fermentation question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

everphilski

Reaction score
Good evening,

I made my first brew last month using Ed Wort's Apfelwein recipe and it turned out great.

I kicked off a second batch two weeks ago (different recipe: brown sugar and molasses instead of corn sugar, S04 yeast) and I checked the SG this evening and it's right about where it should end up, although it is still cloudy. So as far as I can tell fermentation is "complete". No bubbling and the bulk of the yeast has settled to the bottom. When I hear some people talk about cider they talk about a two week primary fermentation and a two week secondary fermentation. If I'm not adding any additional sugar or other additives for flavor, is it possible to just call it 'done' after the primary fermentation and use a product like super-kleer to clear it out and then cold crash and carb (I am kegging, not bottling). Attached SG of initial and tonight - 1.072 to 1.004.

If not... why?

Thanks for helping a newbie out,
philip

Attachments

• PXL_20230501_001026995 (1).jpg
    PXL_20230501_001026995 (1).jpg
    512 KB · Views: 0
  • PXL_20230514_211734879.MP.jpg
    PXL_20230514_211734879.MP.jpg
    5.1 MB · Views: 0
Thanks Maylar. Last brew I just let it sit till clear (4ish weeks) so this is the first time using finings like super-kleer. Google searches returning mixed feedback whether to user super-kleer before or during/after cold crashing. I see some saying it works best at room temperature, and others saying it is just fine to use while (or after) cold crashing.

thanks,
philip

It sounds O.K. to me. Generally, I find that S04 and AS2 (quite similar) can get down from 1.050 to 1.010 in a week even at 12C, especially if I have included a small amount of DAP with the yeast. I then rack to secondary to let it clear for a month or so before adjusting and bottling, but I have left it on the lees for this time (and even longer) without any ill effects.

Latest posts

Back