Sterelising with Campden

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Will_Tingle

Reaction score
What dilution do I use for sterilizing equipment with campden tablets?

How much contact time do I allow?

Is it the tablets or the powder? For sanitizing with the powder, it's usually 1 teaspoon per quart. That would equal about 16 campden tablets per gallon, if my math is correct.

Campen tablets are great for sanitizing must and for using to prevent oxidation in wine, but you need a great many of them to make a sanitizing solution.

about 16 campden tablets per gallon, if my math is correct.

Yikes!

How about mild bleach solution - I've been lead to believe that about 1 teaspoon per gallon is strong enough to work, but mild enough that the residue won't be dangerous.

Campden Tablets are Sodium Metabisulfite right? I found some of my old power lying around and it says to use 1 tsp to sanitize 5gal.

I am thinking of using the powder again for some water treatment experiments. Should help me with Chlorine correct?

Campden Tablets are Sodium Metabisulfite right? I found some of my old power lying around and it says to use 1 tsp to sanitize 5gal.

I am thinking of using the powder again for some water treatment experiments. Should help me with Chlorine correct?

Yes, campden are metabisulfite. I prefer the potassium version, since I don't want to add sodium to my wine. 1 tsp of the powder is powerful, but the campden tablets aren't nearly as powerful, by design so that you add one campden tablet per gallon to get approx 50 ppm free so2. You'd need about 3-4 times more to get a sanitizing strength.

Yes, it should help with chlorine. I've read that one tablet can treat up to 10 gallons of water. I'd use potassium metabisulfite, though, if you can find it instead of sodium metabisulfite, since I'm not sure what adding sodium to the mash water will do.

I just read the December issue of Brew and in one of the articles they state that one tablet in 20 gallons will help with chlorine.

I agree with Yooper that Potassium Meta is preferable over Sodium but if using it as strictly a sanitizer, I don't think you would be introducing a significant amount into or onto anything it came in contact with. In addition, Sodium Meta is a bit stronger than Potassium Meta.

Salute! :mug:

Yes, campden are metabisulfite. I prefer the potassium version, since I don't want to add sodium to my wine. 1 tsp of the powder is powerful, but the campden tablets aren't nearly as powerful, by design so that you add one campden tablet per gallon to get approx 50 ppm free so2. You'd need about 3-4 times more to get a sanitizing strength.

Yes, it should help with chlorine. I've read that one tablet can treat up to 10 gallons of water. I'd use potassium metabisulfite, though, if you can find it instead of sodium metabisulfite, since I'm not sure what adding sodium to the mash water will do.

Thanks Yooper and BMC. Potassium Metabisulfite it will be.

I also found the article in the Dec 08 Brew Mag. BMC mentioned.

There are several different uses for metabisulfite.

First 1 tablet in 10gals (maybe more) will react with the chlorine in the water removing it from solution.

Second 1 tablet per gallon of must is used before pitching to help prevent infection from bacteria or wild yeasts. Wine are sulfite tolerant and will ferment in its presence.

Third 1 tablet per gallon when racking the wine will help to prevent oxidation by displacing the O2 in the wine.

Fourth a higher concentration of metabisulfite can be used to sanitize fermenters and wine making equipment. I don't know what that concentration is as i don't use sulfite for this purpose. I prefer using StarSan as it is easy to use, effective and safe.

You may want to do some research on this use as I believe sodium metabisulfite is usually used for this purpose and if I remember correctly it works better when mixed with a weak acid. You need to look this up as I don't know if the information is correct.

Craig

1/4 tsp Potassium Metabisulfite (2 Camden tabs), 1/2 tsp citric acid (or any other acid), 750ml water; 2 minutes to sterelize, don't have to rinse.
Good for 30 days; don't inhale

I have been using this for over 5 years with no problems.

Latest posts

Back