Campden at bottling necessary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sballe

Reaction score
I made a fortied apple wine - around 15% ABV and a FG of 1,030.

I had it in a small oak barrel for 3 months and just finished bottling it all. Looked awesome - crystal clear.

BUT - I didn’t add any campden !??

Is this really a must? Should I empty all bottles and start again with added campden this time? Or will it keep on for a year or two?

Hope I didn’t mess up! I usually make cider and don’t add anything at bottling — but that is also gone within a year :)

Thx for any advice or input 🙏

The main purpose to add campden before bottling is to help assure fermentation is done and it also helps reduce oxidation. Since you've already bottled, I'd leave it alone. At 15% the yeast is about topped out anyway.

The main purpose to add campden before bottling is to help assure fermentation is done and it also helps reduce oxidation. Since you've already bottled, I'd leave it alone. At 15% the yeast is about topped out anyway.
Fermentation is definitely done … so I am mostly worried about oxidation. But I don’t know how big a problem it is or what it will do to my brew? Also since the ABV is so high I believe vinegar is not a concern?

You'd do more oxidation damage pouring it back and trying to get rid of it than by just leaving it alone. Correct about the vinegar question: not a risk at that abv.

You'd do more oxidation damage pouring it back and trying to get rid of it than by just leaving it alone. Correct about the vinegar question: not a risk at that abv.
Was thinking maybe I should make a little campden-solution… and add to each bottle with a syringe. I used swing-to bottles so fairly easy. Of course the dose won’t be very precise; so perhaps it is overdoing it a bit…

Back