Steeping Grains 175f - bad???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grasshopper1917

Reaction score
Howdy - Im new to making kits with the steeping grains included. I read that your supposed to steep for 30 mins on 155......

I thought i had it set at 155 - so i left the pot and when i can back in 30 mins the steeping water was 175f - so basically my grains steeped for 30 mins at 175 - how bad is this?? Will it throw off the taste a whole lot?

grasshopper1917 said:
Howdy - Im new to making kits with the steeping grains included. I read that your supposed to steep for 30 mins on 155......

I thought i had it set at 155 - so i left the pot and when i can back in 30 mins the steeping water was 175f - so basically my grains steeped for 30 mins at 175 - how bad is this?? Will it throw off the taste a whole lot?

I am wondering this too

I'm pretty new at this to. But, I had the same thing happen on a wheat kit from a local brew shop and it turned out really good. I compared it with a friend of mine who brewed the exact kit and couldn't tell the difference. Hope this helps... Good luck!

As long as the water isn't boiling during the steep, I think you can get away with it. My steeps usually vary between 150 and 160, and I get pretty consistent tastes in my brews...

On the first beer I made, one of the many mistakes I made was boiling the grains instead of steeping them. I didn't even know that was wrong until a few days later. The beer still turned out OK.

Back