Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FutureBrewpub

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I don't post much so thought I would get your thoughts on an Experiment I am doing on a Hop House 13 inspired IPL (If thats even a thing).
Please forgive the Celsius and Fahrenheit deviations, my system runs on Celsius and my cooler runs on Fahrenheit.

Grain Bill:

3 KG Pilsner
2.3 KG Carapils
2.3 KG Munich Dark
1.0 KG Caramel 50
2 tsp Irish Moss
50l Distilled Water added salts for Murphy's Lager and Pilsner Water Profile
5g - Centennial 60 min
10g - CryPop 10 min
20g - Mosaic Steep 60 min

Mash In - 66.7c 60 Min
Batch Sparge - 75c 30 Min
Whirlpool - 90c 60 in

Cool to 25c - Pitch Yeast - Wyeast Labs Pilsen Lager (with starter)
Ferment at 40f 7 Days - Transfer to Corny Kegs and age for 30 Days

Pre-Boil Gravity - 1.046
Expected OG - 1.056
Expected FG 1.013
Expected ABV 5.2%

Any thoughts? I know this will have some interesting flavor profiles, but I

30% Carapils? That's way too much, unless you plan to eat it. For most beers you should use a max of 5%. For an IPA 10% might be ok. I'd use .5 kg.

Lots to unpack. This is not a hoppy beer, unless I’m missing something. You want >100 g flameout/whirlpool, and similar for dry hop. And the Munich and caramel will both make for a darker and maltier beer. And that’s a ton of Carapils. And that’s very cold to ferment — double-check the yeast specs? And you want to drink it fast, not wait a month.

^^^ I agree, that recipe is a little messy. Additionally, 7 day at 40*f is probably way to short.

Back