STC 1000 problem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamaki

Reaction score
I probably haven't searched every thread for this particular problem & solution but I've looked quite a bit with no success.

I built a ferm chamber & wired the new STC 1000 for heat only (for the time being, cold basement). My problem - every time I press the down arrow, alone or together with S, the screen goes blank. When I release I see 8.8.8 briefly and then it goes back to displaying the current temp. Does the same thing if I try to adjust any F setting. I initially wired it per my read of the instructions...WRONG:drunk: I then rewired per Revvy's diagram. Now the heat comes on but still the same 8.8.8 problem. Bad unit? Did I mess it up by wiring wrong initially? Have I missed something? Thanks in advance for any thoughts!

.....Did I mess it up by wiring wrong initially? ....
Very possible. It depends on what you initially mis-wired. Are you sure it's wired correctly now? Snapshot maybe.

If you applied line voltage to the probe connections, it may be toast. Applying line voltage to the relay in/out would smoke the relay if the relay switched on. Did you see or smell smoke?

Thanks for the response, raouliii. No power to the probe connections. No smoke, pop, or burned electronic smell.

Initially I had B & W line power to posts 1 & 2, probe to 3 & 4, and lines to switched outlet at 5 & 6.

I rewired so line power black goes to 1 with a jumper from 1 to 5, black line from 6 to switched outlet, line power white goes to 2, white line to switched outlet also connects to 2. Probe to 3 & 4.

Seems to tell accurate temp. It powers the heating circuit. It's a 110v unit, running on 110. I don't think it's totally fried, but not working as I expected. Is it a problem if I do not have 7 & 8 connected to anything?

After much feedback & troubleshooting I concluded that the unit had to be defective and convinced Amazon to allow me to return for a refund after their 30 day policy. I ordered another unit, connected it & was successful adjusting settings right from the start.

Back