Staying Healthy while Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Only drink grains. Never eat them.

I've been developing a hybrid primal-beer diet for a few years now. If you love beer as much as I do, you can exert your willpower not consuming something else. I don't eat grains, potatoes, or legumes, and beer is basically my only source of simple sugars (other than fruit). It's basically give and take. . . No luck with beer belly thou

I would start a blog about it but it would take away from brewing and drinking with friends. It's give and take.

PS low dairy intake (meat/veggies/nuts/fruit/beer only)

PSS peanuts are not nuts. Don't ever eat those bastads.

took 3 days off from beer.
weigh dropped 3 lbs.

Been doing sit ups, stretching and lifting for weeks, feels better when I dont chase it with a brew.
But on drink days, I have limited it to 1

Of course now I am battling the beginning of Carpel Tunnel!

I have always been skinny until I hit about 27, I'm almost 33 now. If you saw me you'd say I look pretty normal because i'm about 6'2 and 232 lbs- I carry it well. I find I can drop weight pretty easily but it takes eating clean and being fairly active. I dropped about 25 lbs in 3 months by just working out 4 times a week, only having 2 beers a night, and eating stir-fry or fish and veggies. Drink tons of water to keep your metabolism going too!

I find it's mostly about diet. If you eat cleanly you're only consuming veggies, nuts, fruit, and meats. No chemicals and no chips or other bad snacks. I try to only drink when hockey is on but it's hard when I have a really good beer on tap or if I had a hard day. It's esp harder when I can't go outside due to the harsh winter weather. I got an indo board so I can act like I'm surfing inside but it's still not the same.

I also have a 8 month old daughter that takes up most of my time. In addition to homebrewing I also make skateboards and other stuff so time is short. It's either workout and cook good food, or brew, or work in the shop. There's never enough time for everything. That's why diet is so important. That and the beer consumption. Just take it one day at a time and remember that 6 months will come and go either way so why not try and live a little cleaner and better and see what happens?

Thought I would jump in on this because I have had a hell of a time. I just turned 37. On my 35th birthday I saw a picture taken of me and realized I had grown an extra chin. I am 5'8" and when I weighed myself I was 183lbs. Over the course of the next 9 mines I worked my ass off, literally. I lost 40 lbs mostly through calorie counting, portion, control and working out 6-7 days a week. I used myfitnesspal to track things, which really helped with the calorie counting. I didn't really change what I ate, with the exception of cutting way back on fast food.

So a couple years down the road and I have regained about 12lbs. I have been trying to maintain without calorie counting and have ran into trouble. I also tried to cut back to working out 4 days a week.

I discovered that the hard part is trying to figure out how to maintain the weight loss. When you are restricting calories and working out like crazy the pounds come off pretty quickly, but eventually you reach a point where you have to level it off. This is the part I am still having trouble with.

As far as to how this relates to drinking I typically only drink on the weekends and then only in moderation. I will be kegging again for the first time in over a decade and I"m hoping that it doesn't unintentionally lead to increased consumption.

I discovered that the hard part is trying to figure out how to maintain the weight loss. When you are restricting calories and working out like crazy the pounds come off pretty quickly, but eventually you reach a point where you have to level it off. This is the part I am still having trouble with.

As far as to how this relates to drinking I typically only drink on the weekends and then only in moderation. I will be kegging again for the first time in over a decade and I"m hoping that it doesn't unintentionally lead to increased consumption.

For sure. The hard part is figuring out how to keep the weight off. I think it takes a major lifestyle change. I have the same issue. I'll be gun-ho for a few months then I'll get everything under control then all of a sudden the bad habits start to creep back in again. I'll add 15 lbs and wonder what happened... Once you start to gain weight, aka getting old, you sort of have to be mindful of most of the stuff you eat. I try to eat cleanly, veggies, fruit, nuts, meat, but it's hard. Esp when you have little kids at home and no time to cook healthy food.

I have been kegging for almost a year and I can honestly say my consumption has increased. It's just too easy to pull a pint and there's no empties to count. I've since put a whiteboard by my keg and mark each pint I pull. I really dig the time savings by kegging but there's def a down side to kegging :cross:

For sure. The hard part is figuring out how to keep the weight off. I think it takes a major lifestyle change. I have the same issue. I'll be gun-ho for a few months then I'll get everything under control then all of a sudden the bad habits start to creep back in again. I'll add 15 lbs and wonder what happened... Once you start to gain weight, aka getting old, you sort of have to be mindful of most of the stuff you eat. I try to eat cleanly, veggies, fruit, nuts, meat, but it's hard. Esp when you have little kids at home and no time to cook healthy food.

I have been kegging for almost a year and I can honestly say my consumption has increased. It's just too easy to pull a pint and there's no empties to count. I've since put a whiteboard by my keg and mark each pint I pull. I really dig the time savings by kegging but there's def a down side to kegging :cross:

I'll admit I've had it "easy" with my metabolism in life, but I've still bounced around a little. My wife claims I looked like a starved child when I first met her when I was 22. I was working out 5 days a week (free weights in my apartment 2-3 days a week, jogging around a 2.5 mile lake path 1-2 days a week and biking that circuit 1-2 days a week for 2-3 laps). I am 6'1" and I weighed in at 163lbs soaking wet. Just a couple of years before in college I had hit 195lbs due to zero exercise and horrible diet.

I've slowly crept up and down over the years, but I tend to stay in a fairly health 180-188lb range. Its a HECK of a lot healthier than when I was 195lbs, less the weight difference than it is that I lift weights 2-3 times a week and generally swim half a mile after my weight lifting. I certainly had more leg muscle way back when, but I am a lot stronger upper body than I ever have been in my life.

I can't delude myself in to thinking I couldn't stand to lose 10lbs...but back in college I could have stood to lose 30lbs easy.

I don't pay attention to my weight too much (otherwise I obsess over it and I don't need any extra anxiety in my life), but I typically bounce up and down around 10lbs over the course of the year. If it ends up around the holidays and I get too busy to hit the gym more than once or twice a week for a couple of months, I'll easily be pushing high 180s, if I manage to be good for awhile and hit the gym mostly 3 times a week, walks on my lunch hour, etc. I'll hover around 180.

My goal is to mostly try to at least feel in shape and healthy and I've generally managed to do that.

One of my other keys is to try to keep desserts in check (I have little willpower, so I try to convince my wife to just not buy the stuff, otherwise I'll eat it. A lot). Mixed results. I also try to keep my weekday drinking in check. Other than a rare event I try to have no more than 1 drink per night during the week. On the weekend's I'll relax that a bit more, but even then I try not to have more than 2 drinks a night/day unless I have something notable going on (brewing days that rule just gets thrown out as I'll probably have 1-2 drinks during my brew session and 1-2 drinks later that evening).

I gave up bread and carbs during the week play ice hockey a couple times a week and only have a couple home brews a night. Friday-Sunday balls to the wall!
Starting to drop the pounds.

I'll admit I've had it "easy" with my metabolism in life, but I've still bounced around a little. My wife claims I looked like a starved child when I first met her when I was 22. I was working out 5 days a week (free weights in my apartment 2-3 days a week, jogging around a 2.5 mile lake path 1-2 days a week and biking that circuit 1-2 days a week for 2-3 laps). I am 6'1" and I weighed in at 163lbs soaking wet. Just a couple of years before in college I had hit 195lbs due to zero exercise and horrible diet.

I've slowly crept up and down over the years, but I tend to stay in a fairly health 180-188lb range. Its a HECK of a lot healthier than when I was 195lbs, less the weight difference than it is that I lift weights 2-3 times a week and generally swim half a mile after my weight lifting. I certainly had more leg muscle way back when, but I am a lot stronger upper body than I ever have been in my life.

I can't delude myself in to thinking I couldn't stand to lose 10lbs...but back in college I could have stood to lose 30lbs easy.

I don't pay attention to my weight too much (otherwise I obsess over it and I don't need any extra anxiety in my life), but I typically bounce up and down around 10lbs over the course of the year. If it ends up around the holidays and I get too busy to hit the gym more than once or twice a week for a couple of months, I'll easily be pushing high 180s, if I manage to be good for awhile and hit the gym mostly 3 times a week, walks on my lunch hour, etc. I'll hover around 180.

My goal is to mostly try to at least feel in shape and healthy and I've generally managed to do that.

One of my other keys is to try to keep desserts in check (I have little willpower, so I try to convince my wife to just not buy the stuff, otherwise I'll eat it. A lot). Mixed results. I also try to keep my weekday drinking in check. Other than a rare event I try to have no more than 1 drink per night during the week. On the weekend's I'll relax that a bit more, but even then I try not to have more than 2 drinks a night/day unless I have something notable going on (brewing days that rule just gets thrown out as I'll probably have 1-2 drinks during my brew session and 1-2 drinks later that evening).

man I'd love to be that weight. I'm 6'2 230. I'm a big rig for sure but I could stand to cut it down to the 205 range. 180 and I think i'd be a bit too thin. I think now that the weather is getting better I'll probably get out for a jog or get to the skate park for a session or two a week. I just want to get more active, drink a little less, and have a better diet. I know it's possible as my brother is 6'2 and like 180 or so, I just have to commit to it which I think is the hardest part. He doesn't drink anymore though and he eats very cleanly.

I wish I had all your issues of being too tall. I am 5’8” and currently at 214. I can go up and down a few lbs here and there, but my metabolism just plain stinks! I can eat healthy and lift weights and I put on a few. But I have always been a pudgy kid and now I am a pudgy adult. I have had a gut for as long as I can remember, in fact I think it is family trait among the men in my family. Then again I have spent nearly 30 years being asked when I am due! But my doctor has told me I am fit, overweight guy.
10 years ago I was down to 200, but put it back on over the years. Last year at this time I was 10lbs lighter due to my adventure on medifast. But I tend to drop weight in the winter and put it on in the summer. While I am twice, if not 3 times as active in the summer, I find this causes me to drink more. I typically come home and take a 2.5 miles walk with the dog only to return home and have a brew. The there seems to be brews when the lawn is finished or anytime the neighbor walks one over. Just sitting by the pool watching the kids you have 1 or 2 and that leads to ordering a pizza or grilling.
But my other issue working against me is playing golf. I play in a golf league and walk every week, this equates to about 3 miles with 30 some lbs on my back.
It is terrific exercise, but if I don’t have a few on the course, I am most likely having a few in the 19th hole. This leads to grabbing pub food for dinner. Don’t even get me started on get away golf weekends, it is usually a lot of beer and a lot of steaks! And this all leads into the holidays and then back to January and trying to right the ship.
I have given up ever trying to be that cut or ripped dude, the work I would have to put in to even get rid of my gut would require 24/7 work and I would rather spend time with my kids.
Like I have previously posted I have begun lifting dumbbells, kettlebells, doing crunches, leg lifts and starting the day with a 45 second bridge. I may not look different, but I feel better, my back & posture are better. I feel stronger and healthier.
I have also started to cut out my beer during the weekday. Not that it is an issue, but 1 beer usually leads to a shot of whiskey, which, after everyone goes to bed leads to another of both and then a handful of chips and then another handful.
Of course after declaring that I am trying to watch what I eat what does SWMBO buy me at the store, Jalapeno Cheetos and a bag of burritos! Which just happens to go very well with beer! I think she is working against me so I don’t lose more than she does!
Or she is eating vicariously through me!

........I discovered that the hard part is trying to figure out how to maintain the weight loss. When you are restricting calories and working out like crazy the pounds come off pretty quickly, but eventually you reach a point where you have to level it off. This is the part I am still having trouble with.

That's why diet and exercise don't work long term.

It really is about lifestyle, and a life of taking care of yourself.

I'm 51. When I was younger, I could eat whatever I wanted and easily drop a few pounds when I wanted to. I played hockey, which is crazy good exercise, until a couple of years ago. I'm still active, but the weight doesn't disappear easily and my favorite fitness pal (my husband) said to me a couple of years ago, "You can't out train a doughnut!" And he's right. No matter how much you exercise, even to the point of killing yourself with it, you cannot negate diet.

For me, that means a paleo/primal eating plan for most of the time. I, like uncleleon, drink my grains and don't eat them. I don't eat sugar or its many forms. I don't eat things out of a package- no pasta, bread, crackers, ketchup, jelly, etc. I eat real food, always. Beer is my splurge, and I'm not giving it up!

Not only am I pretty slim, I'm incredibly healthy. I have tons of energy, feel great and my yearly physical shows it.

But many people tell me straight out that they wouldn't do what I do- they love their pizza and doritos and soda and doughnuts. I'd rather live longer, and be overall healthier than to eat Doritos or a doughnut. (I haven't had a doughnut in more than 25 years, by the way!) But you can't do all of that- eat junk, lay on the couch, drink beer, etc- and be healthy.

I think of it as 'pick your poison', and my 'poison' is beer and not any of the other stuff. I'd rather drink 2-3 beers per day and not have crackers or junk like that at all.

It's just too easy to pull a pint and there's no empties to count. I've since put a whiteboard by my keg and mark each pint I pull. I really dig the time savings by kegging but there's def a down side to kegging :cross:

That is a good idea. I think I will have to borrow it from you.

A lifestyle change as it pertains to being healthy and in shape is really about diet and exercise.

For diet:

1. Stay in the ballpark of your macronutrient targets (protein, carbs, fat).

2. Predominate your intake with a variety of whole and minimally refined foods.

3. Leave a minority of your diet open for indulgences (10-20% daily calorie guideline).

4. Ignore the rules of fad diets and stick with foods that fit your personal preference and tolerance.

For fitness:

1. Work out every day or as often as you can. Ignore the advice for rest days. Navy SEALS don't get rest days. Pre-workout protein shakes, intra-workouts, and post-workout drinks and meal timing in general are also -for the most part- bogus. Progress is about commitment, drive, knowledge, and hard work. There is no quick or easy solution. You have to learn to balance your average energy expediture via exercise with the amount of food/fuel you put into your body.

2. Incorporate weighted routines, but don't spin your wheels with too light weight or split routines, e.g. chest/tris on monday, back/bis on wednesday, abs/cardio on friday. A good weighted routine will hit every body part 2x per week minimum. Implement a full body routine that makes sense and focus on proper form. Running is great, but focusing primarily on cardio, e.g. running 10 miles every time you work out with the anticipation to lose 5 lbs. or spot tone your thighs and tummy does not work. If you are primarily sedentary but you add extreme cardio 1-4x a week, then you'll end up losing both muscle and fat if you're in a caloric deficit, but quickly gain the fat back when you overeat and expend less energy. Having some muscle on you (not suggesting a gross amount) really does help to spark your metabolism.

3. Don't believe that supplements will get you in shape or even help that much. Aside from the basics like fish oil, vitamin d3, chelated magnesium, etc. 99% of highly marketed supplements don't work and/or provide a very minimal benefit.

--If you're serious about weight training, then creatine monohydrate might offer you the ability to push out one extra rep of heavy weight. And yet for some people, there is zero benefit to it.
--Caffeinated pre-workouts give you an energy boost, and that's great, but don't rely on them everyday to get through your routine.
--Lastly, if you are truly eating a proper diet, you do not need a multi-vitamin or protein powder. There is nothing wrong with using them, but you can easily get enough protein and micronutrients from a good diet.

I am of the belief that it isn't as simple as 'calories in - calories out'.

I got pretty big in college (10 years total). When I was 25 or so I was 235 (I'm 6'1"). In about 18 months I dropped 60 lbs or so just by not eating and drinking like an idiot. No family size bags of chips for a snack sort of thing. I was 170 or so when I finished my doctorate. In Madison I walked everywhere, which really helped. I actually walked 4 miles each way into my lab everyday.

After grad school it slowly came back and I was up to 205. I tried limiting calories and exercising more, but it didn't really have much of an effect. We eat pretty healthy, big big beers pack a LOT of calories. I also work from home, which means a VERY sedentary life style.

I am in the middle of the South Beach phase I diet, and it is having a HUGE impact. I'm eating more calories than I was (which is tough, you have to get creative with meals and snacks), but I'm losing 1-2 lbs a day. In a week or two I'll go to a less restrictive diet, but I'll still really try to drink less often and avoid simple starches (potatoes, bread, pasta, rice) much more than I used to.

On a related note, I'm on day 6 of no alcohol. The tremors are subsiding :)

To summarize, I'm eating more calories but losing weight. The calories are mostly fat and protein, and the complex carbs in veggies. No alcohol, starches, grains, etc. I am doing zero exercise. Its starting to warm up though, so I'll be able to bike / jog soon.

Work related stress last year (and the issues that caused the stress) kept me from brewing much last year and dropped my consumption of beer by at least 30%. As a result I lost 15 pounds without changing my diet or exercise patterns. I'd been at 212 since joining the gym 10 years ago, now I'm under 200 consistently under 200 for the first time in years.

A lifestyle change as it pertains to being healthy and in shape is really about diet and exercise.

A lot of good advice for sure. While I agree with most of it, I do have a few exceptions:

1. Work out every day or as often as you can. Ignore the advice for rest days, pre-workout protein shakes, intra-workouts, and post-workout drinks.

I would argue that rest days are important for preventing burnout, as well as for ensuring that you are getting enough rest and recovery to really get the most out of your workouts. It's hard to have an effective workout when your muscles are fatigued before you even start. It's still important to try to work out more days than not (ex 4&3 or 5&2), but I wouldn't be so quick to discount rest days.

And I find protein shakes to be indispensable. I work out first thing in the morning at 5:30am, and eating a bunch of solid food before hitting the gym is not an option, nor is going on an empty stomach. I find that protein shakes make for a quick, easy, healthy, and easily digested way to give me energy for my workouts.

I also take one immediately after my workout, but of course this practice really depends on what your goals are. I'm working on gaining lean muscle mass, and the shakes have absolutely helped. I've quickly gone from being a very underweight 130lbs to a little over 150lbs since I added the shakes to my regimen. Before I had very little progress. If all you're trying to do is lose weight and strength gains aren't a concern for you, obviously the protein shakes become less important.

If you're serious about weight training, then creatine monohydrate might offer you the ability to push out one extra rep of heavy weight. And yet for some people, there is zero benefit to it.

I agree that most supplements are garbage, but creatine has worked great for me, and has been scientifically shown to be one of the single most effective supplements out there for weight training. But as you say, it's not necessarily for everyone, and more importantly it really depends on what your goals are.

I would argue that rest days are important for preventing burnout, as well as for ensuring that you are getting enough rest and recovery to really get the most out of your workouts. It's hard to have an effective workout when your muscles are fatigued before you even start. It's still important to try to work out more days than not (ex 4&3 or 5&2), but I wouldn't be so quick to discount rest days.

When you first start working out, that first week is brutal. Your entire body aches. By all means, ease back into your workout routine as your body allows you to. But once you are in the full swing of things, there should technically be no such thing as rest days. Adequate sleep is enough rest. Like I said... Do you think Navy SEALS take rest days?

And I find protein shakes to be indispensable. I work out first thing in the morning at 5:30am, and eating a bunch of solid food before hitting the gym is not an option, nor is going on an empty stomach. I find that protein shakes make for a quick, easy, healthy, and easily digested way to give me energy for my workouts.

Protein powder is a processed food... Again, a processed food and not a whole food. While it's not laden with industrial trans fats or extraordinary amounts of sodium, realize that it is still a shortcut and unnecessary if you are eating a balanced diet. I take it on days that my diet is short in protein out of convenience, but it is not wise to RELY on it to hit your daily protein intake.

2 large eggs
2 slices fiber one bread
1 tsp. olive oil
1 cup whole milk

1 orange
1 serving greek yogurt
10 baby carrots

6 oz. chicken breast
1/2 avocado
Lettuce leaf
Tomato slice
2 slices fiber one bread

6 oz. lean beef
1/2 cup lentils
1 cup green beans

22 oz. IPA

^This is 1934 calories (more like 1720 cals without the beer), 67 grams fat, 128 grams protein, 153 grams carbs.

It is all a 160 lb. person requires in terms of macronutrients and calories for a cut. Hence, there is no need for protein powder if your daily diet typically looks something like this.

I agree that most supplements are garbage, but creatine has worked great for me, and has been scientifically shown to be one of the single most effective supplements out there for weight training. But as you say, it's not necessarily for everyone, and more importantly it really depends on what your goals are.

I take creatine as well, but I lift almost every day. Even so, the reported scientific benefits measure out to approximately 1% benefit vs. if you weren't taking it. There are documents out there to support this. In the practical sense, you may or may not notice that you are able to push out one extra heavy rep.

Fish oil on the other hand, e.g. 2-3 grams EPA & DHA per day is actually quite beneficial. If I were to use any supplement to support the benefit of supplements, it would be adequately dosed, well-sourced fish oil.

A lot of good advice for sure. While I agree with most of it, I do have a few exceptions:

I also take one immediately after my workout, but of course this practice really depends on what your goals are. I'm working on gaining lean muscle mass, and the shakes have absolutely helped. I've quickly gone from being a very underweight 130lbs to a little over 150lbs since I added the shakes to my regimen. Before I had very little progress. If all you're trying to do is lose weight and strength gains aren't a concern for you, obviously the protein shakes become less important.

I'm in the same position here and want to echo what hunter has said by re-stating my experiences. As I mentioned much earlier in this thread, I've been using Shaun T's Focus T25 program to get me in shape. I did his Insanity program for about 4 years (off and on), and it seriously corrected my horrible cardio.

It was extreme, yes, but with strong willpower, a workout partner (my wife), and the motivation of correcting some seriously bad habits (like quitting smoking), I put on a lot of healthy weight and lean muscle. It even got me in shape to run a few half-marathons over those years (I'm fortunate enough to have healthy joints, not something everyone can say). But, I was still small (155-160lbs at 5'11").

Over the past 3 months, I started Focus T25, which starts with cardio training in Alpha, then puts you into hybrid strength training with weights in Beta, and then heavy focus on strength and weights in Gamma. I've broken my threshold and gained 12lbs (something I've never been able to do before, even in Army basic training when I was 19) of seriously lean muscle. I'm over 172 now, and in the best shape of my life. And, the best part, the workouts are 25 minutes a day (if you're telling me you don't have time for that then you aren't trying hard enough). But, I didn't see the weight and muscle pickup until I started shoveling in the proteins. Protein shakes are a very convenient way to get the 150-160 grams or so of protein a day. They definitely aren't necessary, but make a huge difference in my ability to get what I need. Obviously, that also means a lot of calories, which in my case is very much needed to maintain the muscle.

Also, while I agree that there's a LOT of snake-oil out there, pre-workouts are amazing (for me, personally). I see and feel a very noticeable difference when I have it, and when I don't. I won't say more, because I wouldn't advise anyone to use a pre-workout without first doing some research (lots of false information on the internet, so easier said than done), or consulting a doctor/nutritionist or at least a personal trainer. I just wanted to say that I wouldn't completely knock their merits. They work for me, but my experience is simply my experience and should not be taken as the solution for anyone.

When you first start working out, that first week is brutal. Your entire body aches. By all means, ease back into your workout routine as your body allows you to. But once you are in the full swing of things, there should technically be no such thing as rest days. Adequate sleep is enough rest. Like I said... Do you think Navy SEALS take rest days?

Ain't nobody here training to be a Navy SEAL, last time I checked. I'm talking about sustainable lifestyle changes. Most people don't need to work out every single day to see results, and trying to do so is just as likely to make them burn out and give up. Fitness and healthy eating is a mental game as much a physical one. I need a break from my job every 5 days, and getting a break from the gym is beneficial as well. All work and no play makes Jack say, "f*** this, I quit!"

As always, YMMV. It's most important to find what works for YOU and stick with it.
And I'll keep drinking my protein shakes, as that's what works for me and my schedule, and you can keep on telling me I'm doing it wrong. All I know is that I'm in the best damn shape of my life. :D

:mug: Cheers.

Ain't nobody here training to be a Navy SEAL, last time I checked.

That was just an extreme example to prove there's really no need for rest days. If you're working hard at your lifestyle change via a sensible diet and workout program, then that lifestyle change should be just that... part of your new life routine. If you treat a lifestyle change like something you practice maybe 3x per week, well then you will just be spinning your wheels. The biggest reason you are fit and proud of it (or not fit and not proud) is directly correlated to your own willpower.

Being in the best shape of your life shouldn't be crutch people use to affirm that they are doing everything they can. The ceiling can be much higher than that, which is basically what I'm saying if you have the willpower and knowledge to do so. Everyone who I know that works out every day in "beast mode" loves it. Lifting is equivalent to breathing for them, and they won't let anything stand in their way. You only get burnt out and frustrated if you are not seeing/feeling the results you desire. In order to overcome that, learning more about nutrition and workout programs is key.

meh...I work out everyday in some form. Usually just situps, pushups and some cardio. But at most I take a day off. Never get burned out. Its just apart of my life, like a chore or something. Just needs to be done.

My first hobby is training in Brazilian jiujitsu and other mixed martial arts. however i still can't eat and drink whatever. My rule is monday -Wednesday super strict eating and no alcohol. Thursday strict until the end of the day i may have 1 beer. Friday clean eating but couple beers at night. Saturday whatever happens happens lol.

I think whatever happens is important for diets. Especially homebrewers. Your bound to fail if you drink beer and especially homebrew, but don't make allowances for massive carb intakes on top of regular diet.

Use the same thing you alwauld to stay in good shape. Reglular excercise and and a good lean diet. You dont need a crash diet and they never sustain. Crash diets actually make you less healthy, even if you do get skinnier. Eat lots of high vitamin vegtables, lean mean like chicken, turkey and fish. And try to eat a lot of good lean carbs like rice or bread. Dont ever cut carbs all out of your diet if you are excercising, carbs are fuel. Simple jogging and core excercises every day combined with a proper diet can go a long way.

My first hobby is training in Brazilian jiujitsu and other mixed martial arts. however i still can't eat and drink whatever. My rule is monday -Wednesday super strict eating and no alcohol. Thursday strict until the end of the day i may have 1 beer. Friday clean eating but couple beers at night. Saturday whatever happens happens lol.

Sunday must be a day of rest.

I like your plan though.

A couple years ago I lost 50 lbs off a 6' 235 pound starting point. Went from sedentaryish to placing in top 3 of a local 5K. Also pretty much took care of my apnea problem...it was real bad.

For me, there was a few things that really helped. I used myplate to track my calories initially and focused on getting enough protein (around .5-.75g per pound of body weight) and let the carbs/fat fill in the rest of my daily calories. I avoid starches for the most part.

Two biggest reasons I lost the weight. I completely stopped drinking for 3 months, then eased back into drinks on the weekend.

I got enough sleep. Cutting back on the booze got me into bed earlier and provided a better nights sleep, so getting up in the AM before work to go to the gym was a lot easier. Getting to the gym in the morning sets up the day with a proper attitude towards my eating habits.

THIS JUST IN!!!

You can lose weight by moving more and consuming less!!!

22FQP.jpg

I have spent the last week jump roping. I jump rope for 1 min then swing a golf club for a minute then back to roping.
This enables me to be outside with my kids and get something accomplished.
When I go do my sit ups & lift I have to hide in the basement. since I am a quasi single parent I just cant leave them out of eye sight for too long.

I have found that I can not have a beer while making dinner then go jump rope. It just sloshes around.
I save the beer for afterwards!

I am trying a different approach.
I cut out beer during the weekday (except Wed, which is golf day)
And I am jump roping 5 mins (non-stop) a day and doing 50 situps in the am, 50 in the PM.
I actually cut back on my lifting.
my scale says I am down 10, but my scale seems to like to fluctuate depending on where it is on the floor.
I still have my gut, which I will always have, but my pants are starting to slide off as I walk.

Step in the right direction!

My wife and I have read and followed the book Wheat Belly by William Davis MD and have been successful in losing weight over the past two plus years. I have recently drifted from it and gained eight quick pounds, so back to it. I would highly recommend it for a way to lose weight and keep it off.

Back