Staying Healthy while Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The basic point is that an equal volume of fat weighs less than an equal volume of muscle. You're internet arguing just to internet argue.

I find that 'dieting' will never work in the long wrong. You have to make healthy lifestyle choices. Stay active and eat whole foods. If it's a heavily processed food with tons of ingredients that you can't pronounce and loads of processed sugar, don't eat it (there's loads of sugar in most processed foods - even the ones you wouldn't think of). If it doesn't have ingredients at all, that's the best (fruits, vegetables, nuts, grains, meat, etc). You can't just rely on number of calories in and number of calories out. It's the quality of the calories in that really counts.

If you can do that, and at least stay relatively active (sitting on your butt day in and day out is incredible unhealthy, regardless of your diet), you're in good shape (pun intended).

Weight is measured in pounds or grams... not liters.

Muscle weighs more than fat by volume. As in, if I have a liter of fat and a liter of muscle, the liter of muscle is going to weigh more. That is the point I was trying to make.

Not sure if srs or if you're just missing the basic point. There is a whole ton of myth out there that has effectively taken over in the fitness world. Even nutritionists and personal trainers don't know the truth sometimes.

Saying 1 lb of fat = 1 lb of muscle is such an obvious statement that it doesn't really merit even mentioning. It's meaningless to the conversation.

When someone says "muscle weighs more than fat" they are obviously referring to volume. Same when I say cars weigh more than people.

A person can go down in clothing sizes without dropping in weight, for example. That's an example of muscle weighing more than fat with respect to volume in the context of a fitness conversation, such as this one.

It's not a myth; you're just missing the context, apparently.

Saying 1 lb of fat = 1 lb of muscle is such an obvious statement that it doesn't really merit even mentioning. It's meaningless to the conversation.

When someone says "muscle weighs more than fat" they are obviously referring to volume. Same when I say cars weigh more than people.

A person can go down in clothing sizes without dropping in weight, for example. That's an example of muscle weighing more than fat when referring to volume.

Holy internet hallelujah delivered to me by a stick figure!

Muscle weighs more than fat by volume. As in, if I have a liter of fat and a liter of muscle, the liter of muscle is going to weigh more. That is the point I was trying to make.

And how is that relevant to weight management in actual, useful terms?

A person can go down in clothing sizes without dropping in weight, for example. That's an example of muscle weighing more than fat with respect to volume in the context of a fitness conversation, such as this one.

Body composition and body weight are different things. You are arguing body composition here. You can have two, 150 lb. people with very different body compositions, but in the end, they both weigh the same. The way the muscle/fat is distributed may yield slightly different body compositions in two, 150 lb. people. One of those people could have lower bodyfat % than the other, but that does not mean they have heavier muscles.

It's not a myth; you're just missing the context, apparently.

So let me get this straight... It's silly to make the statement that I made, and yet under your guidance it would be perfectly fine to make a statement like, "A liter container filled with fat or feathers is going to be lighter than the same volume liter container filled with muscle or bricks."

^Obviously... But that isn't even relevant or helpful at all.

If the major component of the calories-in is high protein, good fat, and fiber, the management of in/out is easier. Unfortunately, in our current diet and snacking culture, the calories-in part tends to be carbohydrates. If your calories-in are mostly carbs, you have to work much harder on the calories-burnt side of the equation. The focus needs to be on the composition of the calories, not just the number.

We all need to eat more Bran and yogurt (fermented foods in general), and drink more water.

I don't agree with the 'eat bran' part- but that's the gist of all of my research and experiences.

High sugar consumption creates a surge in insulin, which results in a drop in blood sugar. Cortisol is then released (this is the hormone that tells our body to store fat), which causes your body to store whatever is eaten afterwards as fat.

Unless your body is operating at a caloric deficit, it will not be stored as fat at all but used as energy.

But see, that's where this all falls apart. We've been told that for the last 30 years- eat 'right' by cutting calories (and fat has more calories than carbs) and cutting fat. And the truth is that diabetes and prediabetes are higher than ever.

It's simply NOT true that a calorie in/calorie out works.

My husband eats more carbs than I do, but that is because if he eats less carbs he can't keep on weight even if he eats 6000 calories per day. I'm not kidding- because I eat primal/paleo, I eat probably 4000 calories per day but I have a 'normal' BMI. If I exercised, I'd be at 'athlete' level. Hormones- cortisol/insulin do change your metabolism.

Tell us more about the " low carb lean meat thing" ? I'd love to hear about it.

I don't do 'lean' meat- I mean, sometimes I eat venison which is lean- but I eat grass fed beef, lamb, etc mostly for my red meat. The idea is that you want 50%+ of your calories from healthy fats, which is satiating. (It does NOT increase your cholesterol or triglycerides, contrary to the stuff we've been taught, and dietary cholesterol has never been shown to be a factor in heart disease!).

http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com/best-diet.html is a general synopsis.

And how is that relevant to weight management in actual, useful terms?

The point I was initially trying to make is that weight control isn't only about calories in vs. calories out. If you are rapidly gaining muscle, which weighs more by volume than fat, while losing fat, you may see an increase on the scale rather than a decrease, even if you are eating at a deficit.

If you are relatively inactive and eat below your BMR, then yes, it is probably a matter of calories in vs. calories out.

My fiance eats around 4000 calories a day and I'm pretty sure he has a hole in him somewhere because at 8 inches taller than me he weighs less than I do. He also drinks a ton a beer and I wouldn't call his diet healthy by any means. It's not just calories in/out. It's genetics, body composition, and exercise. Muscle loss/gain, fat loss/gain.

I don't agree with the 'eat bran' part- but that's the gist of all of my research and experiences.

But see, that's where this all falls apart. We've been told that for the last 30 years- eat 'right' by cutting calories (and fat has more calories than carbs) and cutting fat. And the truth is that diabetes and prediabetes are higher than ever.

It's simply NOT true that a calorie in/calorie out works.

My husband eats more carbs than I do, but that is because if he eats less carbs he can't keep on weight even if he eats 6000 calories per day. I'm not kidding- because I eat primal/paleo, I eat probably 4000 calories per day but I have a 'normal' BMI. If I exercised, I'd be at 'athlete' level. Hormones- cortisol/insulin do change your metabolism.

I don't do 'lean' meat- I mean, sometimes I eat venison which is lean- but I eat grass fed beef, lamb, etc mostly for my red meat. The idea is that you want 50%+ of your calories from healthy fats, which is satiating. (It does NOT increase your cholesterol or triglycerides, contrary to the stuff we've been taught, and dietary cholesterol has never been shown to be a factor in heart disease!).

http://www.healthy-eating-politics.com/best-diet.html is a general synopsis.

I would never disagree with you in regards to brewing, however, I'm going to disagree with 99% of this and saying that calories in/calories out does not work is outright wrong.

Calculators are great, but only your body can tell you what your BMR is... which includes your diet.

Are you maintaining your weight right now? If so, bump up your calories purely from Protein and Fat by, let's say 1000 cal per day. What do you think would happen?

Would you maintain your weight, or would you gain weight? Alternately, cut your cals by 1000 per day. Do you think you would lose weight?

The point I was initially trying to make is that weight control isn't only about calories in vs. calories out. If you are rapidly gaining muscle, which weighs more by volume than fat, while losing fat, you may see an increase on the scale rather than a decrease, even if you are eating at a deficit.

If you are relatively inactive and eat below your BMR, then yes, it is probably a matter of calories in vs. calories out.

My fiance eats around 4000 calories a day and I'm pretty sure he has a hole in him somewhere because at 8 inches taller than me he weighs less than I do. He also drinks a ton a beer and I wouldn't call his diet healthy by any means. It's not just calories in/out. It's genetics, body composition, and exercise. Muscle loss/gain, fat loss/gain.

Yes, body composition is a huge part of this! Like I said, my husband (at 150 and 6' tall) eats as much as 6000 calories per day. He's a skinny guy.

I used to follow a "good diet" and eat less than 1500 calories a day and struggled to stay slim.

It was a huge deal for me to do 180 degrees and totally change- but I did it for 30 days first. I was so addicted to carbs (whole wheat spaghetti, one cup, was a mainstay of my diet) that I felt sick for the first 28 days. But, suddenly, a switched flipped, and I started feeling great. I starting bursting with energy, my skin looked great, my hair shone, and my eyes sparkled. I had no afternoon slumps anymore. That alone kept me going for the next 5 years.

Incidentally, I did lose some weight and kept it off. I went from a size 8+ to a size 4, because I only lost about 10 pounds but my body composition changed. I started sleeping better.

The only thing that I've done that other 'low carb' folks probably don't is limit my beer consumption. If I gave up beer a few days a week, I'd probably look slimmer and lose the rest of my belly. But I just am not willing to do that!

I eat incredibly well- lamb steaks on the grill with a huge grilled veggie basket tonight, for example. The hardest things for me to give up were bread, pasta, and ketchup. Eliminating sugar from my diet in all forms (besides veggies) was the toughest part- people have no idea how much sugar they consume!

I would never disagree with you in regards to brewing, however, I'm going to disagree with 99% of this and saying that calories in/calories out does not work is outright wrong.

Calculators are great, but only your body can tell you what your BMR is... which includes your diet.

Are you maintaining your weight right now? If so, bump up your calories purely from Protein and Fat by, let's say 1000 cal per day. What do you think would happen?

Would you maintain your weight, or would you gain weight? Alternately, cut your cals by 1000 per day. Do you think you would lose weight?

While I do agree with you, I believe you are oversimplifying. There is a lot that goes into the whole scheme of weight gain/loss that I believe a lot of people don't understand.

Anyways, if I want a beer, I drink a beer. No use denying myself something that I truly love. I'm going to buy a shirt that says "I workout so I can drink beer."

While I do agree with you, I believe you are oversimplifying. There is a lot that goes into the whole scheme of weight gain/loss that I believe a lot of people don't understand.

Anyways, if I want a beer, I drink a beer. No use denying myself something that I truly love. I'm going to buy a shirt that says "I workout so I can drink beer."

Funny, I drink beer as an excuse not to. "Cant, drunk."

I'm pretty small, and at nearly 51 it's more work to be fit than it used to be!

I don't want to start a huge debate, but the whole 'calories in, calories out' thing has been debunked by many scientists and doctors I respect. It has to do much more with your body and the way it burns fuel. This is a reason why Atkins diets work- but people can't stay on them.

I can relate to this myself. For my first 20 yrs or so I topped off at about 140 (5'8"), yet I ate anything and everything I wanted. In my teen years I used to spend a month or so with my Aunt and Uncle during the summer, and they were traumatized by my appetite as compared to their 4 girls. By my last year in the navy (1986) I was up to 160, but I drank more, and ate less healthy food. In the intervening years I've ranged from 160-170, continuing to eat pretty much anything and everything (fairly lean diet, except for my Hot Fries). Since I started brewing 2.5 yrs ago, it's made no appreciable difference, but I know I've been drinking more than I used to, but still not over doing it. I attribute it to a very high/active metabolism. While I don't work out, I am very active, non-stop.
I just hope I don't burn out like the little high energy dogs do. I am regularly mistaken for being ~15 yrs younger than I am, so I certainly can't complain!! I hope I don't have a proverbial wall headed my way any too soon! My father also looks good for pushing 80 as well. Or maybe old people don't look so old to me anymore.....

Over simplifying is what 95% of the population needs... they've been bombarded with "don't eat this," "white foods are bad," "only eat a diet high in olestra," etc. etc.

Anyway, the rest is for the scientists to argue and if they come to a conclusive "nutrition rules guide," then I'll just stick to what I know as fact.

But... discussing nutrition is like discussing whether or not to use glass carboys or transfer to secondary or what-have-you.

Lots of anecdotal evidence, not a whole lot of peer-reviewed scientific fact.

I would love to see a study in which several people operating at a caloric deficit over a large period of time at sub 10% body fat percentage would gain weight. That would blow my mind and I would bow out of nutrition studies for good.

Yes, if I was eating, say, 2000 calories per day and cut 1000 calories, I probably would lose weight. But anybody who is starving WILL lose weight. I'm not saying that calories don't matter- of course they do in that if you restrict them you will lose weight. But most people can't live that way. So I'm talking about a way that doesn't count calories, because they simply don't matter if you eat the right foods. If you want to lose body fat (not just the actual weight), this is good to know.

My point is that calorie restriction only works in drastic measures. I eat more like 4500 calories per day now- so if I cut 1000 calories per day I wouldn't lose weight probably. That's still not a calorie deficit in the traditional 'dieting' sense. I can eat far, far, more calories and not gain weight but I get full too fast.

If you eat 1500 calories of low-fat yogurt and fruit, diet sodas, etc, and I eat my regular diet of paleo/primal eating (no low fat anything, no sugar, approx 4000 calories per day), I will still burn it off. You may or may not. It really depends on what you eat- people who are on the 'low fat, high carb' diet are simply fatter than people who eschew those 'diets'. My body fat level is pretty low, considering I never formally exercise.

If I go out and have pizza, I gain two pounds. That's not from calories, though- it's from the carbs. If I eat a sauce, and I gain weight the next day, I can ask a friend, "Oh, what was in the sauce?" and they will say, "oh, a cup of sugar..." and I knew it! But if I eat my normal foods, I don't gain an ounce. And I eat a TON of food. Seriously- more than most people could ever fathom.

I know it flies against every single thing we've been taught in the last 30 years! But I firmly believe that we (health care professionals) are killing people in huge numbers with what we are teaching via the food pyramid and the low fat myths.

This is all very oversimplified, as it's not easy to go through all of the biochemistry in a short (or even a long!) post. But the gist is here, and you can do your own research to debunk or prove it: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/7-common-calorie-myths-we-should-all-stop-believing/#axzz3ShZvWzbb

I'm going to bow out of this thread, as I know this can get contentious. And I'm an admin of a brewing forum, not a nutrition forum and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

But everyone who wants to be healthy- do your own research! If you are convinced that you can find complete health by your own means then do it- and don't be disuaded by so-called experts.

Yes, body composition is a huge part of this! Like I said, my husband (at 150 and 6' tall) eats as much as 6000 calories per day. He's a skinny guy.

I used to follow a "good diet" and eat less than 1500 calories a day and struggled to stay slim.

It was a huge deal for me to do 180 degrees and totally change- but I did it for 30 days first. I was so addicted to carbs (whole wheat spaghetti, one cup, was a mainstay of my diet) that I felt sick for the first 28 days. But, suddenly, a switched flipped, and I started feeling great. I starting bursting with energy, my skin looked great, my hair shone, and my eyes sparkled. I had no afternoon slumps anymore. That alone kept me going for the next 5 years.

Incidentally, I did lose some weight and kept it off. I went from a size 8+ to a size 4, because I only lost about 10 pounds but my body composition changed. I started sleeping better.

The only thing that I've done that other 'low carb' folks probably don't is limit my beer consumption. If I gave up beer a few days a week, I'd probably look slimmer and lose the rest of my belly. But I just am not willing to do that!

I eat incredibly well- lamb steaks on the grill with a huge grilled veggie basket tonight, for example. The hardest things for me to give up were bread, pasta, and ketchup. Eliminating sugar from my diet in all forms (besides veggies) was the toughest part- people have no idea how much sugar they consume!

Thank you! Body composition and recomposition is key. I lost and kept off 25 pounds and lost 4 dress sizes in 6 months. Then all of a sudden I couldn't lose weight anymore. I increased my workouts, decreased my calories, nothing worked. I increased my calories and VIOLA! I lost 6 pounds in about 6 weeks and started seeing definition in my mid-section.

Over simplifying is what 95% of the population needs... they've been bombarded with "don't eat this," "white foods are bad," "only eat a diet high in olestra," etc. etc.

Anyway, the rest is for the scientists to argue and if they come to a conclusive "nutrition rules guide," then I'll just stick to what I know as fact.

But... discussing nutrition is like discussing whether or not to use glass carboys or transfer to secondary or what-have-you.

Lots of anecdotal evidence, not a whole lot of peer-reviewed scientific fact.

I would love to see a study in which several people operating at a caloric deficit over a large period of time at sub 10% body fat percentage would gain weight. That would blow my mind and I would bow out of nutrition studies for good.

I agree with you. I basically use IIFYM and adjust based on what I did that day. I have seen several people use calories in vs. calories and have huge success while others have hit walls and had to readjust. And again, I've seen people, like myself, exercise and gain weight but lose body mass. It's not black and white just like anything else, like secondary or glass carboys.

Yes, if I was eating, say, 2000 calories per day and cut 1000 calories, I probably would lose weight. But anybody who is starving WILL lose weight. I'm not saying that calories don't matter- of course they do in that if you restrict them you will lose weight. But most people can't live that way. So I'm talking about a way that doesn't count calories, because they simply don't matter if you eat the right foods. If you want to lose body fat (not just the actual weight), this is good to know.

My point is that calorie restriction only works in drastic measures. I eat more like 4500 calories per day now- so if I cut 1000 calories per day I wouldn't lose weight probably. That's still not a calorie deficit in the traditional 'dieting' sense. I can eat far, far, more calories and not gain weight but I get full too fast.

If you eat 1500 calories of low-fat yogurt and fruit, diet sodas, etc, and I eat my regular diet of paleo/primal eating (no low fat anything, no sugar, approx 4000 calories per day), I will still burn it off. You may or may not. It really depends on what you eat- people who are on the 'low fat, high carb' diet are simply fatter than people who eschew those 'diets'. My body fat level is pretty low, considering I never formally exercise.

If I go out and have pizza, I gain two pounds. That's not from calories, though- it's from the carbs. If I eat a sauce, and I gain weight the next day, I can ask a friend, "Oh, what was in the sauce?" and they will say, "oh, a cup of sugar..." and I knew it! But if I eat my normal foods, I don't gain an ounce. And I eat a TON of food. Seriously- more than most people could ever fathom.

I know it flies against every single thing we've been taught in the last 30 years! But I firmly believe that we (health care professionals) are killing people in huge numbers with what we are teaching via the food pyramid and the low fat myths.

This is all very oversimplified, as it's not easy to go through all of the biochemistry in a short (or even a long!) post. But the gist is here, and you can do your own research to debunk or prove it: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/7-common-calorie-myths-we-should-all-stop-believing/#axzz3ShZvWzbb

I'm going to bow out of this thread, as I know this can get contentious. And I'm an admin of a brewing forum, not a nutrition forum and don't want to hurt anyone's feelings.

But everyone who wants to be healthy- do your own research! If you are convinced that you can find complete health by your own means then do it- and don't be disuaded by so-called experts.

Yeah, you won't hurt my feelings and I agree that we will never agree. If it works for you, that's great. But if you were truly maintaining your weight and counting your calories day in and day out, you would lose weight by even cutting 500 cals (assuming you could get a baseline for how many you are actually consuming on a regular basis), methinks you just eat about the same diet and approximate what's being taken in, instead of knowing.

No biggie, I'm done too.

:mug:

Wow, this was an interesting read.

I think (as in, it's my opinion) that it'll never be a simple formula, especially one that everyone can agree upon. Like I've said before, do what works for you. Genetics plays a role in how your body handles metabolism, and what is the case for some, won't be the case for others.

I do believe the general consensus (that we can all agree on) is stay away from fad diets, and find ways to stay active. If you want to get really ripped, then start researching what's been effective for many others in the past and consult a qualified nutritionist. Otherwise, keep it simple. Stay away from junk food and soda. Using moderation if you insist on drinking. And find a method of exercise that is comfortable (which doesn't imply easy, but means something that isn't too difficult for your fitness level).

It's not just calories in/out. It's genetics, body composition, and exercise. Muscle loss/gain, fat loss/gain.

Your diet and your workout routine dominate the large majority of your body weight and your body composition.

Yes, all of those other little things matter to a very minor extent, but genetics, slight metabolism changes from person to person, meal timing, etc. accounts for very little, I'd say less than 10% of the real issues a person has with weight loss. They are not valid excuses to lose for why you can't lose weight.

My fiance eats around 4000 calories a day and I'm pretty sure he has a hole in him somewhere because at 8 inches taller than me he weighs less than I do. He also drinks a ton a beer and I wouldn't call his diet healthy by any means.

Calorie and workout goals differ from man to woman, and very drastically at that if he is 8 inches taller than you. If that is not a big enough reason for you, then your fiancé is either moving more/exercising more effectively than you, or eating less than he is telling you.

Ok, so there is a ton of really good information here, but I wanted to see if I could clarify something for those who may not be familiar with how the calories in vs calories out equation works. Anyone who has "debunked" (no matter how well respected) the equation is misleading what they are claiming, and anyone who has oversimplified it is doing the same. That equation is the ultimate equation in terms of dieting. That being said, the equation relies on many other factors that most do not consider. Yes, it is possible to increase your metabolism either naturally or artificially to the point where eating several thousand calories is entirely healthy. It is also possible, as many people have already done, to wreck your metabolism into oblivion, turning simple low calorie diets into starvation diets.

The caloric equation works great, assuming that your metabolism hasn't been wrecked, and you are eating a well balanced diet. Even if you metabolism hasn't been wrecked and you calculate that you need to eat 2000 calories even to lose 1lb per week, if you eat 2000 calories of carbs, you're going to have a bad time. If, on the other hand, you eat your consistent 2000 calories in a properly balanced protein-carb-fat ratio then you will lose weight. But remember, as you lose, the calories will have to be readjusted.

The reason why so many diets do not work, and why some have even been downright dangerous, is that people travel to extremes. "Oh carbs are bad? Well then if I eat none, I will be great!" NO! This is but one example, but it is probably one that most of you have heard at one time or another. Eating no carbs at all is dangerous, and it is why the Atkins diet had such a bad reputation. The diet did not say to rid all carbs from your diet, but that is what people did, and the problems with that speak for themselves.

I really do wish there was a way to "dumb" all of this down into a simple equation that anybody could follow with success, but I am afraid that is simply not possible. The best way to learn what to put into your body is through research. And I don't mean go get your PhD in Mom Blogs so that you know not to vaccinate. I mean actually research. Grab a college nutrition textbook and read what different compounds do and how your body uses them. You might find that carbs are important. You might also find that while you probably consume way more salt than you should, you do need a certain amount, so don't completely eliminate it. Don't hop on the bandwagon of every new-study diet out there, but always be open to new discoveries.

The reason why a paleo diet works is the same reason a weight watchers diet works. And that reason is the same reason exercising and eating healthy works, and why the Atkins diet works. They all work by controlling your caloric ratio and enforcing a balanced diet, but none of them are easy. In losing weight, or as some have mentioned, gaining weight, the name of the diet you use is WAY less important than motivation and willpower. Those two things will stop the best laid plans in their tracks.

So read and research. Not from biased sources but from legitimate ones. Learn why things happen, and then you will better understand what you need to do about them. Your metabolism can be corrected, no matter where it is currently, and fixing that will make maintaining your motivation that much easier.

Calories in calories out. The human body takes calories in and out of it's reserves on a daily basis, doesn't mater what food they come from.

When I was younger I was in amazing shape. Stayed super skinny. I lifted weights constantly, and ran cross country. I was on the wrestling team and won a lot of championships. When i wasn't running track or cross country my recreational activities included playing basketball or going hiking. In college I rode a bicycle to class a lot, or walked. I was always in shape up until 4 or 5 years ago. A desk job got the better of me. I started running again, got a mountain bike and a new treadmill. Changing my diet has made a big difference too. The weight is coming off I'm just concerned about getting my cholesterol down now.

I will agree that any exercise is good, but in the same breath I will say that walking is by far the poorest. Doing exercises that increase your heart rate up to or near it's maximum have many benefits over walking. They not only burn more calories per the amount of time spent, but they help our metabolisms go at a slightly faster pace.

As for beer, I'm very conscious about how much I drink of it these days. I limit myself to a few times per month now to indulge in more than 1 at a time. Ironic sounding, but this forum actually helps somehow. Maybe it's because discussing beer helps when I'm getting a craving for one!

Good health to all!

I will agree that any exercise is good, but in the same breath I will say that walking is by far the poorest. Doing exercises that increase your heart rate up to or near it's maximum have many benefits over walking. They not only burn more calories per the amount of time spent, but they help our metabolisms go at a slightly faster pace.
Walking may be the poorest exercise, but when I was on that cruise I was walking all day long. "Quantity has a quality all its own" ;)

Using personal experiences to rationalize your understanding of nutrition and exercise is about as ignorant and ill-conceived as it gets. I see multiple posts here referencing a lot of, "Well in my experience" information.

The only ones making sense here are bobbrews and psylocide. What they have said so far utters very basic truths about modern nutritional concepts. The problem is that most of you have learned the wrong way from the very start and are unwilling to be open to accurate information because it goes against what you think you know.

This topic is a lot like discussing politics and religion. Highly debatable. However, unlike those topics, once you learn the right way, you begin to realize that most of the information out there is complete bologna. This is not a topic with a ton of clear, all about the facts information. It requires a lot of digging as opposed to the, "Well this works for me" mindset.

Cut out all grains and sugar, except for beer of course, and cut out dairy as well. Eat healthy fat and grass fed meat. Lots of veg but not potatoes. Fruit occasionally. Works wonders even without working out.

Walking may be the poorest exercise, but when I was on that cruise I was walking all day long. "Quantity has a quality all its own" ;)

It was them stairs that got me!! Being on mid floor, end of ship...phew!

But yes I agree with your statement.

Calories in, calories out. I restrict my beer drinking to the weekends only. I eat a high protein, low carb diet. Weight train 4 days a week, cardio 2 days.

image.jpg

Protein Protein Protein...then lift, 3 times a week and cardio 2.

6 meals a day is great for a male. Watch your portions. A cup of veggies, 3 - 4 oz of protein, and 3/4 a cup of carbs and you are on your way. Use olive oil to cook and don't cover your food with creams and sauces. I will admit those are my favorite. Mayonnaise is the devil. Fats should be limited. If you can keep your fats under 20g a day, keep your portions correct and eat all day, you will burn calories. The key is keep the fire going. Get it started right when you wake up and keep adding every 2.5 hours.

Using personal experiences to rationalize your understanding of nutrition and exercise is about as ignorant and ill-conceived as it gets. I see multiple posts here referencing a lot of, "Well in my experience" information.

Just to be fair, the OP did ask for other people's personal experiences. It may have evolved into something far uglier, but the original intention of the OP was to hear what other people are doing, not a nutritional science debate. But of course, you know the "right way" as you say, so who am I to argue?

Your diet and your workout routine dominate the large majority of your body weight and your body composition.

Yes, all of those other little things matter to a very minor extent, but genetics, slight metabolism changes from person to person, meal timing, etc. accounts for very little, I'd say less than 10% of the real issues a person has with weight loss. They are not valid excuses to lose for why you can't lose weight.

Calorie and workout goals differ from man to woman, and very drastically at that if he is 8 inches taller than you. If that is not a big enough reason for you, then your fiancé is either moving more/exercising more effectively than you, or eating less than he is telling you.

My fiance goes from sitting 10 hours at a desk to playing video games at home. I go from a fairly active job to teaching kickboxing, lifting, or taking muay thai classes. He's just genetically built to be extremely skinny. His BF % was measured at around 17% a couple of years ago.

That last 10% makes a huge difference once you've ruled out everything else, IMO. I eat healthy, exercise often, and drink a lot of water, but genetics makes me retain weight in different places than other people. I have friend X, who eats like crap, never exercises, weighs more than me, but looks skinnier than I do because she retains her weight in her chest and not her hips like I do.

Anyways I've about exhausted all of the healthy talk I can on this forum. Everyone has different opinions about it, as we concluded early. Just do what's best for you is my advice, that's how I lost and kept off 25 pounds over the last year or so. Hoping to make that closer to 35 by this summer and be able to take 2 six-packs to the pool, if you know what I mean. :mug:

I'm 30 years old and last August weighed 265 lbs. As of this morning I'm down to 226 lbs. It is really honestly as simple as accurately counting your calories and controlling your portion sizes. When I was heavier I didn't bother to do that and as a result I continued to gain weight. It's only really been since September that I got serious and started using MyFitnessPal. It's an incredible tool if you want to lose weight.

That being said, I've done my very best to make significant lifestyle changes including changing my diet and exercising much more regularly. I don't drink very often at all, and when I do it's Miller Lite. 96 calories and terrible flavor. I'd much rather drink a bunch of IPA but then I wouldn't be able to eat that day. I still brew quite regularly but now it's mostly for competitions and I end up giving away most of the beer. That's okay with me - I enjoy making beer and drinking some it, but giving it away keeps the pounds from coming back. When do I plan on having a few good craft beers I make it so that they'll fit in my calorie goals for the day - either by having a light lunch or by going to the gym beforehand.

Latest posts

Back