Starters for cider yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jim Karr

Reaction score
If I were to take a vial of cider yeast, and make a starter to multiply my yeast and save some for additional batches, what would I use for a medium to feed the yeast? DME? Corn sugar? Fructose?

I'd like to buy some 4766 Wyeast, and mass up a few vials to use in future pitches. HELP:confused:

If I were to take a vial of cider yeast, and make a starter to multiply my yeast and save some for additional batches, what would I use for a medium to feed the yeast? DME? Corn sugar? Fructose?

I'd like to buy some 4766 Wyeast, and mass up a few vials to use in future pitches. HELP:confused:

For the starter it's self use what ever juice you are going to normally use for your cider, for the freezing . . .What you want to use is glycerin

Put it in vials then use a wrap the vials in gell freezer packs, put those into a SMALL Styrofoam cooler and place the whole thing in the freezer. You want to avoid the freeze/thaw cycle of normal frost free freezers because it will kill the yeast. If you have a old NON frost free freezer I'd do the same thing just to be safe.

About a year ago (maybe more) there was a VERY good thread about it, try a search on yeast farming or something similar try this link for the freezing http://www.schwedhelm.net/brew/yeast_harv_freeze.html

Back