Starter question - sudden flocculation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeafSmith

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I put a 2 liter starter of WLP002 (English Ale yeast) on the stir plater 24 hours ago. I last looked at it about 3 hours ago and it looked like every other starter I've done before (never used this WLP002 before, though) - a uniform creamy tan/yellow color. I just now looked at it and now it looks like a snowstorm with large clumps of yeast flocculated together. Does this sudden flocculation mean the yeast have stopped reproducing and I might as well turn off the stir plate, or should I keep it going? Still have lots of tiny bubbles rising up to the top with a little foam around the edges and in the center. I've never seen my other starters (with WLP001 and WLP004) do this with the stir plate still running. Keep it going?

I've seen WLP007 do the same thing and it is a similar yeast. I would leave it on, otherwise it will settle out and you'll be left with a super solid yeast cake, as English yeasts are wont to do.

After 24 hours its probably done. 002 is super floculant so when it starts to clump most of the ferment is finished. However it wont hurt to leave it on the plate for another day.

Back