Is there an ideal starter FG?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gresco

Reaction score
Took an 18 month break, first time since then that I've made a starter. Using WLP007.
I never check the FG of a starter (also never had any issues) but I was curious and I checked it, it's only 1.019.
Was 18 hours on a stir plate, total time has been about 36 hrs. There is a decent yeast build up on the bottom, just not sure what to expect for a FG. Starter OG was 1.040 for 2L starter.
I figure I'd turn the stir plate back on to see what happens... any advice?

John Palmer's How to Brew suggests only using a stir plate for the first 12-18 hours if planning a 36-48 hr starter.

Thanks

Most advise 1.030 to 1.036 for a typical starter OG. But when starting from dregs or frozen slants the advise is to start with a small volume of 1.010 OG and step up the volume and gravity over a couple rounds to the more normal OG...

Cheers!

Most advise 1.030 to 1.036 for a typical starter OG. But when starting from dregs or frozen slants the advise is to start with a small volume of 1.010 OG and step up the volume and gravity over a couple rounds to the more normal OG...

Cheers!

Thanks! I've always used 1.040 but don't have a reason why I do it, I will definitely start smaller in the future.

Any idea if putting it back on the stir plate for 12-18 hrs will negatively affect the yeast? I assume it shouldn't and hopefully they will keep working at it...

Back