Starter from leftover White Labs vial

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lechien

Reaction score
English Ale Yeast WPL002 was pitched directly into a low gravity brew by a friend that was brewing. I took the empty vial, made a one liter 1.040 DME mix(boiled), filled the vial with DME mix and pitched into 1 liter mix. I also used a oxygen stone and pure oxygen.

Should I have started with a smaller volume of mix? Like 1 cup, to let the yeast take hold faster? And then worked it up from there?

The starter took off quickly and now I have a 3/8" of yeast on the bottom.

My question, would this be considered stressed yeast? Is it ok to use this or did starting with such a small amount of yeast and 1 liter or wort do something that would negatively affect the yeast?

Thanks for your help.

I wouldn't consider it a stressed yeast. But the idea of making our starters is to create an environment where the yeasties we want will multiple faster than the ones we don't. Since you started with a fewer amount...

Is what you did ideal? No. Is it going to harm the beer? Doubt it. Suggestions for next time? I would have your friend take his vial of yeast, do the starter, split it then two more starters (one for each of you) then pitch.

Back