What's the deal with White Labs London Fog pitch rate?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevilsCups

Reaction score
Hey all!

We recently used London Fog at the brewery I brew at in an IPA and really liked the results. I grabbed one of the new homebrew sized Pure Pitch packs to try on a batch at home. I pitched 1 pack into a ~1L starter and it's finishing up.

Out of curiosity I went to White Labs site to look at their pitch rate calculator for this variety. When putting in a 5 gallon batch @ 14.2º plato, it's recommending to pitch 5(!) packs?! What's the deal there?! That seems extremely excessive. I haven't run into this with any of their other ale strains.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.41.06 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.41.06 AM.png
    112.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.41.11 AM.png
    Screenshot 2024-02-09 at 7.41.11 AM.png
    174.1 KB · Views: 0
It's telling me that one pack is enough. Not that I necessarily believe that mind you, but did you maybe accidentally mess with the slider? Did you really intend to pitch 40 million cells per mL?

I like 1M cells/°P/ml pitch rate and for a 5 gallon batch using their 1.050 SG/12°P metrics it calls for ~1.5 packs...

1707490152607.png

Cheers!

It's telling me that one pack is enough. Not that I necessarily believe that mind you, but did you maybe accidentally mess with the slider? Did you really intend to pitch 40 million cells per mL?
I didnt adjust anything on the calculator at all. I even checked with all of the other ale stains and they're putting out appropriate results. This one is just wacky it seems?

I didnt adjust anything on the calculator at all. I even checked with all of the other ale stains and they're putting out appropriate results. This one is just wacky it seems
Like I said, if I don't adjust anything it tells me to pitch one pack. Changing the strain doesn't change the recommendation. It doesn't even let me select a strain until after I run the calculator. Something is definitely wacky, but it seems to be on your end.

1707493060176.png

So I just got off the phone with White Labs. There was something wonky going on with their calculator.

It seems to be all fixed now, and I'm getting appropriate results!

Back