StarSan keeps eating thru my spray bottles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hoochin'Fool

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Well, the "trigger" part of the spray bottle gets a pretty sticky and hard to use after it's been thru several brew and bottling days over the course of a month or three.
Am I using the wrong kind of spray bottle -- it's a "Mainstays Ironing Spray Bottle"? Or should I only fill the spray bottle with enough sanitizer for that day, and then rinse it out after each brew or bottling day?

I've been brewing for many years and never used a sprayer for star san.
When bottling, I immerse the bottles in the star san and after the 2 minute contact time, dump them out and fill them.
The caps are immersed in a plastic container of star san until needed.
The same for all the small stuff like siphons, funnels, airlock stoppers, the wine thief, measuring cups, all immersed in star san.
If you are using a conical and have the tri-clover clamps I can see why you might want to spray the star san sometimes.
They do make a heavy duty spray bottle:
https://www.hobbyhomebrew.com/produ...ayer-for-cleaning-solution-star-san-pot-meta/

The problem is that unless the spray bottle is marked as corrosion and chemical resistant, the spray mechanism is likely got a metal spring exposed to the liquid. Those will corrode and break down after a while.

Sprayers like the one linked by madscientist451 use corrosion resistant springs and should be able to stand up to continuous corrosive exposure. You'll pay more for the sprayer head initially, but it will keep working.

Phosphoric acid is the main enemy to the plastics in the trigger sprayers. As you can see in the diagram below, there are about 14 components used in the assembly of an average sprayer mister top:
Trigger-Spray-Diagram2-1024x576[1].png

You can see that polypropylene (PP) is the most common plastic used in their assembly. As noted above, I've found the first thing that happens to me is I lose the mist and get a stream. While PP is generally resistant to acids, it will degrade over time, and the nozzle is the place where the spray gets atomized. The LDPE used in the water jacket is less resistant to acid. If replacing the mister is not convenient, one procedure that will extend the life of all the components in the drive train of the mister top would be to make a solution of baking soda in water and then spray it through your mister top before you store it between brews. Doing that may result in your inexpensive mister top becoming a family heirloom that will become fought over by your home brewing children when your will is read.

I use these gray colored bottles specific to extreme chemicals. I have one for bleach, one for StarSan, and one with a degreaser. I think I picked them up at Home Depot.

The problem is that unless the spray bottle is marked as corrosion and chemical resistant, the spray mechanism is likely got a metal spring exposed to the liquid. Those will corrode and break down after a while.

Sprayers like the one linked by madscientist451 use corrosion resistant springs and should be able to stand up to continuous corrosive exposure. You'll pay more for the sprayer head initially, but it will keep working.
Not only the metallic part, it also corodes some plastic parts as well. Some materials seem to have better resistance than others though. My current spray bottle is lasting unusually long now!

... I just remembered, last time I wrote this in a "my star san eats my spray bottles" thread, I found out that my spray bottle died one hour later :D

....I am about to find out, brewing a beer in ten minutes! :D

it also corodes some plastic parts as well.

Yup. The plastic ball valve I have on my Star San bucket is made from delrin and nylon. The delrin that makes up the body gets eaten up over time - the threaded end skinnies down to where it actually slips out of the lock nut - typically within 4 years - while the nylon lock nut lasts forever it seems. Also back when cornelius keggers stuffed epoxy mixer sticks down their keg's Out dip tubes for flow control those delrin mixer sticks would get eaten up if left in Star San long enough...

Cheers!

Not only the metallic part, it also corodes some plastic parts as well. Some materials seem to have better resistance than others though. My current spray bottle is lasting unusually long now!

... I just remembered, last time I wrote this in a "my star san eats my spray bottles" thread, I found out that my spray bottle died one hour later :D

....I am about to find out, brewing a beer in ten minutes! :D
Just to let all you good folks of homebrew-town know, my spray bottle is doing just fine.

I know these three hours of uncertainty have been hard for all of us, and I appreciate all of you standing by my side during this intense and almost unbearable time of waiting.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.

Last edited:
lol! 😁

fwiw, I've been using this Rubbermaid spray bottle for Star San for so many years I cannot remember when I bought it, but I do remember I bought it from Walmart...

1684697604116.png

Cheers!

Just to let all you good folks of homebrew-town know, my spray bottle is doing just fine.

I know these three hours of uncertainty have been hard for all of us, and I appreciate all of you standing by my side during the wait.

Thanks for the thoughts and prayers.
let us know the day before your next brew day so we have time to find our votive candles and set them up for the vigil for your spray bottle. HAHA

The spray bottle that I use for starsan cost me $3. I'm not going to be too broken up if I have to replace it some day. I once bought a larger spray bottle to use for undiluted white vinegar to remove some very hideous wallpaper installed in the master bathroom by the previous owner of my house. I think that one cost me $6. Considering what we spent on the remodel, it wasn't too big a deal that it turned out to be a disposable single use item.

Back