Star San questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chaos2984

Reaction score
I've tried searching but the search function doesn't work to well. but im just wondering how long can you keep a bucket of star san. hours days or what. Will it keep for 24hours or something. Thanks

More like months. StarSan suposedly gets cloudy when it gets old. As long as it is clear, its still good. I usually mix it up in a 2.5 gal water jug and then use that to fill up spray bottles and sanitize kegs, buckets, ect.

You could theoretically swirl it around a clean bucket for example and then put it back in the jug for later use, but since its cheap I usually don't. I keep the starsan jug "fresh".

I've heard that some water will make Starsan cloudy immediately with no bad effects.

I make up a large batch that I keep in a 5 gallon water bottle. Covered with foil for over a month. I have just topped it up on occasion.

I keep a spray bottle handy. Its useful for spritzing all the small pieces.

Ph strips will tell you if it is still good.

Put it in a spray bottle and spray everything Star san really only needs 10 seconds of contact. The spray bottle. Conserves and its really easy to use Stays forever as long as the ph is under 3. Just spray some on ph paper before you spray and equipment

sounds good. I just like to get somethings ready before i brew in the morning. just a little easier if you get some of the prep work done early

I've wondered about this question myself. I discovered this video on youtube which is very helpful:

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/user/immolateus#p/u/0/_niSffyAXO0]immolateus's Channel - YouTube[/ame]

The ph test strips look like a good idea, but I haven't purchased any yet.

I always have two sets of ph strips: one the 4.8 - 5.8 range for my mashes, then I also have one in the 2.5-3.5 range that I use to test my star san. If the pH is above 3, I add a bit more. After a while of this, it starts to get a bit soapy and sticky.

I typically keep a batch of star san for 3-6 months.

what is ro???

RO stands for reverse osmosis, which is similar to distilled water, as they both are devoid of dissolved minerals.

Star-San is still effective, regardless of it's cloudiness, as long as there is no organic matter in it and it has a pH lower than 3. Even if the pH rises above 3, again, as long as there is no organic matter in it, you can "sweeten" in up with some more concentrate to drive the pH back down below 3.

gotcha. well i have city water no well water. So i think im ok i dont have use distilled water

My Dallas water makes star-san go cloudy within minutes. Does anyone know why like, what it actually is about my water that causes it?

Usually its precipitation of things like calcium phosphate etc... one of tge active ingredients is phosphoric acid if your water is hard (increased calcium etc... It can complex to form these inorganic "salts"...

Back