Star San- how long does it last

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tuckahoe

Reaction score
If I make a solution of Star San to sanitize equipment, bottles, etc., how long is that so,union effective for. Can I put that solution in a bottle and reuse at a later date?

when mixed with distilled water it lasts almost indefinately. if mixed with tap water, the minerals in it will react with the starsan and make it less effective over time. how long depends on your water. i normally make a 5gal keg full of it once a month with filtered (but not distilled) water, and it lasts fine.

you can use pH test strips to determine if it is good- as long as the pH is lower than 3, its good to use.

When made with my well water, it is toast after a few weeks. I keep 3-4 gallons in a bucket made with distilled or RO water and have found that it stays crystal clear for at least 4 months.

I usually keep it through the brew cycle, from brew day through bottling and then toss it, and that's about a month. I don't usually have overlapping brews going so it never stretches past that. The last batch smelled sulfury at the end. I've had the same squeeze bottle of the concentrate for a few years now so I don't worry about wasting it.

Latest posts

Back