Stamping/Marking Stainless Steel?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheCheatOSX

Reaction score
I'm needing to mark some gallon gradations on my new SS boil kettle and was wondering the best way to go about it. I have a spring-loaded punch and the gauge isn't very heavy so I think that should work... My main concern is if doing this will cause the SS to rust from the stress. Any metal workers out there to shed some light?

Could you just put some indicator "dots" at the .5 and 1 gal marks? They could be seen on the inside and outside.

Use a center punch to make the indentation.:D

I don't know about the rust, shouldn't happen IMO.

Maybe someone else knows more about rust and SS.

you shouldn't have any rust issues. The ss is made during the forging of the steel. they add chromium to the iron to make it "stainless". The chromium works by reacting with oxygen to form a tough, adherent, invisible, passive layer of chromium oxide film on the steel surface. If damaged mechanically or chemically, this film is self healing as long as it has enough oxygen.

hth
John

Here is a bit of info I found that I didn't know that might come in handy someday!

" Because oxygen is necessary for the reaction, liquids and other foodstuffs stored for a prolonged time in stainless can prevent oxygen contact and thus promote corrosion, as can prolonged contact with household cleaners such as bleach."

John

Back