Metal stamp a stainless steel Brew Kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hello all. I've searched a ton of ages old threads on this and can't find much. I'm wondering if anyone has had any success with metal stamping a SS brew kettle ? I'm thinking of getting some carbon hardened 1/2 or 1/4 inch numerical stamps to out some gallon marks on a kettle I bought to use as a HLT but also now thinking if doubling it as a brew kettle. I have several other kettles all gallon marked but this one isn't. I thought of etching which I've never done but know that has the potential to expose the kettle to possible corrosion. Just seems to that stamping some numbers with a hammer would be easier and less of a hassle. Anyone tried it ?? How did it work out ?? Thanks

Stamping with any type of tool will inevitably expose iron and require passivation, and using carbon steel tools could potentially embed iron particles. Either way, plan on obtaining enough citric acid powder to create a 5% solution by weight of sufficient volume to cover all of the tooled work to fry out any exposed iron. 150°F recommended...

Cheers!

Stamping with any type of tool will inevitably expose iron and require passivation, and using carbon steel tools could potentially embed iron particles. Either way, plan on obtaining enough citric acid powder to create a 5% solution by weight of sufficient volume to cover all of the tooled work to fry out any exposed iron. 150°F recommended...

Cheers!
I read somewhere also that starsan in a 1oz to 1 gallon concentration can also passivate. 30-60 min soak then allow to air dry for 24 hours then rinse several times. Though I'm kind of not wanting to waste that much starsan! That about 2.5 years or more worth of sanitation !

A gallon of water at room temperature weighs ~8.345 lbs. 5% of that is .417 pounds or 6.67 ounces. If it takes 10 gallons to submerge the tooled metal, multiply by 10.

You may be able to jig the kettle so it lays towards the tooled scale and thus use a lot less acid solution...

Cheers!

A gallon of water at room temperature weighs ~8.345 lbs. 5% of that is .417 pounds or 6.67 ounces. If it takes 10 gallons to submerge the tooled metal, multiply by 10.

You may be able to jig the kettle so it lays towards the tooled scale and thus use a lot less acid solution...

Cheers!
I really appreciate your tips so much !!! Thank you

Back