Stale Grain?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jlinz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a kit with crushed grain that was milled and packed about a month and a half ago. It is just 9 pounds of pilsner malt for a kolsch. There is not a very strong malt smell at this point. Is it worth going ahead and brewing it up or probably a waste of effort?

I have a kit with crushed grain that was milled and packed about a month and a half ago. It is just 9 pounds of pilsner malt for a kolsch. There is not a very strong malt smell at this point. Is it worth going ahead and brewing it up or probably a waste of effort?

You'll be fine using it. Happy brewing!

Tastes fine. Not much flavor either way actually.

The "not much flavor" sounds a little worrying to me. Does it taste like other pilsner malt you've tasted?

Actually, I never tasted pilsner malt before this. I'm mashing right now, and it seems to smell ok.

Your beer will probably be ok. But just in general, the closest to your brew day you can mill the grain, the better. I mill mine right before dough-in.

Back