Stainless conical - beer stone? discoloration?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NoH20

Reaction score
I bought a used conical. The insides were a little “dirty”. Looked like a buildup of beer stone I thought. I soaked with PBW and it cleaned up good. At certain angles, I can see kind of a “rainbow” coloration in different areas. Thought it might still be some beer stone remnants or something. I just gave it a soak of BS Remover and going to let it sit to air dry. Is this normal after a fair bit of use? Anything to be concerned of?

Todd

That's likely still just a remnant of beer stone.

Here's a trick I read here somewhere: if you really want to see your equipment shine, do a soak with PBW at 160 degrees. For a long time, I was using "hot" water that was barely hotter than what I could stand sticking my hand in. But it's not hot enough.

Fill that baby with 160-degree water, add the requisite amount of PBW, and wait 40 minutes. I think you'll be amazed. Rinse with very hot water as well to get off any PBW residue.

BTW: when I clean my kettle (electric element inside) I add enough water to cover the return whirlpool port, which is about 3.5 gallons or so. I add the PBW, then turn on the power and bring it up to 160. Once there, I use a long-handled brush to brush that hot PBW solution up the sides above the liquid, and it does a pretty nice job of cleaning the boil line.

Will try getting my water hotter next time . I didnt even think of that . The Grainfather instructions call for 132 degrees. Dont know why I'm only using hot tap water on my cf5.

I used a little liquid BKF on a paper towel, and it wipes right off. Maybe the BS Remover loosened it up some. Even a wet paper towel looks brown if I rub those spots (bkf is quicker).

Latest posts

Back