Staged brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dukes7779

Reaction score
Does anyone brew in stages?? I have been crazy busy lately and can't get a full 5-6 hours to brew. I'm considering doing it in stages: mash/make wort one day, boil and pitch another. Thoughts?

I pretty sure that fresh wort has tons of microbes in it. If you left it for 24 hours it would sour. People do this intentionally so the sour taste transfers into the final product. Obviously boiling would eliminate the souring of the microbes as they would be killed by the temperature of the boil. Best bet is to have everything ready the 1st day. Second day Mash, boil, and just chill the wort over night in the fermenter. Pitch yeast the next day and clean up.

Do your mash and after your done getting your volume bring it to a boil for 10 minutes. Turn off your burner and cover then the next day continue with your boil.

I've collected my wort on one day and started the next by boiling and then cooling and pitching. I've done it that way several times w no problems. Just be sure to cover your wort

Back