SSR heat question in enclosure

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dolomieu

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I thought I'd be nice and build my brother a temp controller for his lab oven he is using for powder coating. Of course I thought this would be a great way to also build a rims setup for myself.

This will be a 20a set up and I found a schematic from PJ that I think will work. Though this is my first time dealing with SSRs and I have some basic questions. For the oven build the controller will most likely be just on and off using the sly-1512ar. Will this generate the same amount of heat as if I had it switching on and of rapidly?

I was thinking of boxing this up in a harbor freight ammo box but I'm starting to think it will melt. The SSR I have has a heat sink on it but i'm guessing that won't do all that much good if I have it all closed up in a plastic box. Would a metal tool box be a better option? I'm think that attacking the heat sink to the tool box would help dissipate the heat a bit better.

Anyone mind sharing some knowledge on this topic as I do want it to be safe.

Thanks in advance

Cool well I sent the links to my brother and he replied with a 50/cal ammo case.. So I guess I'll have to try to cut into one of those. At least I have some laying around the garage.

Latest posts

Back