SS Brewtech's new manifold

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

budaboff

Reaction score
Maybe someone here can help me understand their manifold setup.

1600350997363.png

1. No valve on the left pump input. Will there be issues with flow into the pump or will one shut off valve be fine?
2. No valves on the brew kettle? Will the manifold valves keep everything nice and closed during the boil?
3. Based on the attached diagram, I can't figure out why they would run extra length for Mash Tun to Kettle instead of just going into the whirlpool port.
1600351159047.png

Any advice or insight is appreciated. Thanks.

Reply from SS Brewtech:

1. On the HLT, there is a valve on the kettle, so it wouldn't be a huge deal. Just close it off when you aren't using it and it will be fine. You could always add another valve if you prefer.

2. This example doesn't have a valve on the bottom of the brew kettle, and that's ok but I personally would have one at the kettle. It's not like the pint of beer in the tubing will go anywhere since there are two valves in the path anyway, but it gives me some piece of mind.

3. You can absolutely go in through the whirlpool and save the 4th pathway for something like an inline chiller or filter. Just keep in mind that you would want to limit that valve opening when doing that, so you don't make a mess from the high powered pump. If you were to go through the bottom port /diptube/trub dam, you could have the flow going full bore out of the gate with minimized splashing.

Where can I find that "Mashtun to Kettle" photo? I am trying to understand how this manifold would work in practice, and that picture suggests that SS Brewtech has already overlayed highlighting to show different flow paths. On their site today though, I can only find the main photo, which is a spaghetti mess of tubing.

Back