SS Brewtech Grain Mill Rollers not Parallel

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dan46nbrew

Reaction score
I ordered the SS Brewtech grain mill in November of 2019. I'm just now getting around to setting it up. I got on Youtube to see some videos and several mentioned the rollers are not parallel. One guy got a replacement which was still off. I thought this must be an isolated issue because I didn't receive any kind of notice from SS that some units had issues. Well before even turning it on I checked with some feeler gauges and the gap on one side is 17.5% larger than the other side. The videos I watched said the tolerance should be less than 10%. I also just read the thread about the soldering on one guys unit.. my jaw dropped looking at that circuit board. It's quite unbelievable for how much this thing costs. I emailed SS tonight so I will see what they do.

Last edited:
I got a reply back from SS. They basically said that the rollers being slightly out of parallel shouldn't cause any issues due to the way it was designed. I can visually see that the gap is different. Unless there is something I'm missing, the side with the smaller gap will crush the grain more than the opposite side. Will this make a difference in the brew? I don't know, maybe its negligible. I watched aYouTuber, Bryan Rabe, that believed he was getting stuck mashes due to the rollers not being parallel. I couldn't find a followup video from him to see what the conclusion was. Maybe others can chime in and tell us if they have had any issues themselves.

They said the knurled design of the rollers is the reason for being out of parallel not affecting the consistency of the grain. By this logic there wouldn't be a difference in grain crush going from one setting to the next. The amount of movement of the rollers is very small from one setting to the next. It doesnt make sense to me. Maybe SS should come on here and explain this because I believe they have seen the threads here.

I emailed them back and basically said what I posted up above. I think they need to come out and give an explanation of why the knurled rollers won't cause a problem if they are slightly out of parallel. I'm not an engineer and for all I know my logic about is it completely wrong. Due to the number of people concerned with this though they really need to give some kind of formal explanation. If I had a product and someone posted a video or a thread that just wasn't correct I would address it. I like SS as a company and I really want this mill to succeed, but I think we need an explanation from them to gain our confidence back if this really isn't an issue.

I call "shenanigans" on SSBT.
They obviously have a manufacturing quality issue that they don't want to take the hit to fix...
Agree. BS answer. Is there a way to tag them to this thread?

Edit: $800 and that was their answer?!

Last edited:
As far as defending Ss goes, I try to speak up for them as much as I can ... when it is warranted. They have no presence here on the forums. Most of their equipment is of high quality right out of the box. I’ve never had a legitimate quality control concern that they haven’t made right.

All that being said, I’ve been highly disappointed with their customer service. I recently bought a 3v electric system. It does NOT do what they say it will do out of the box. There are locked settings which you need access to to make it work. I repeatedly contacted their customer service and got subpar answers. Eventually I figured it out myself and it does work flawlessly. Still not happy with their customer service after paying a premium.

So to your actual problem, I’ve seen the rollers out of parallel in a few videos. Portly Gentleman has a good one on YouTube. It’s unacceptable. I don’t care what the roller type is, if it isn’t even it won’t crush evenly. I take the time to set my monster mill with feeler gauges every time if drift is in question.

17% to me doesn’t mean a lot. What’s the actual measurement? Is it off by .005 inches? I wouldn’t be happy with that, but might chalk it up and accept it. Is it off by .010? If that far off, I’d be pissed. To visually see a difference, I’d say it’s way off.

Ssbrewtech or not, if you’ve had it at this point over a year without checking it, I doubt they’ll help you no matter how in the right you are.

They said the knurled design of the rollers is the reason for being out of parallel not affecting the consistency of the grain.

That's nonsense. That said, if you bought this in October 2019, I suspect it's out of warranty. OTOH, I've had some manufacturers of high end stuff take care of slightly out of warranty products.

That's nonsense. That said, if you bought this in October 2019, I suspect it's out of warranty. OTOH, I've had some manufacturers of high end stuff take care of slightly out of warranty products.

Yeah, I told them that their explanation didn't make sense to me. Well there wasn't really an explanation besides saying the rollers are knurled and that they have done extensive testing showing being out of parallel is not a problem like it would be with traditional rollers. I'm not satisfied with that because it doesn't explain how the knurled rollers allow this to happen. Common sense tells me a gap that is not the equal will result in more crush on one side than the other but my common sense may be wrong. What I'm really perplexed at is those YouTube videos are 8 months old, maybe more and when you do a search for the SS Brewtech grain mill they are some of the first that pop up. Why wouldn't they address this? Without addressing this the best case scenario is you have alot of customers with a good product that aren't sure if it has a problem or not. At least I can't find a post or video where this has been addressed.

As far as defending Ss goes, I try to speak up for them as much as I can ... when it is warranted. They have no presence here on the forums. Most of their equipment is of high quality right out of the box. I’ve never had a legitimate quality control concern that they haven’t made right.

All that being said, I’ve been highly disappointed with their customer service. I recently bought a 3v electric system. It does NOT do what they say it will do out of the box. There are locked settings which you need access to to make it work. I repeatedly contacted their customer service and got subpar answers. Eventually I figured it out myself and it does work flawlessly. Still not happy with their customer service after paying a premium.

So to your actual problem, I’ve seen the rollers out of parallel in a few videos. Portly Gentleman has a good one on YouTube. It’s unacceptable. I don’t care what the roller type is, if it isn’t even it won’t crush evenly. I take the time to set my monster mill with feeler gauges every time if drift is in question.

17% to me doesn’t mean a lot. What’s the actual measurement? Is it off by .005 inches? I wouldn’t be happy with that, but might chalk it up and accept it. Is it off by .010? If that far off, I’d be pissed. To visually see a difference, I’d say it’s way off.

Ssbrewtech or not, if you’ve had it at this point over a year without checking it, I doubt they’ll help you no matter how in the right you are.

On one side the gap is 0.74mm and the other its 0.61mm, 17.5% difference and a delta of 0.13mm. I'm looking at the manual and these are the adjustment values:

Position Gap (mm)
-5.......... 0.50
-4.......... 0.70
-3.......... 0.85
-2.......... 1.00
-1.......... 1.15
0.......... 1.30
1.......... 1.46
2.......... 1.61
3.......... 1.76
4.......... 1.90
5.......... 2.00

So, now this worries me. Some of the adjustment points are LESS than 0.13mm which is how much the gap varies from one side to the other. Will shoot this info back to SS and see what they say. The way I see it is if they say this amount of variability shouldn't cause a problem then changing from position 4 to position 5 with a delta of 0.10mm is pointless because it won't affect the crush?

Last edited:

i had a issue with the wheels falling off of my fermenter. SS was super nice and on top of it. i have had 0 issues in the past with them and honestly my go to for a lot of gear.

with that said i would like to see this play out as a grain mill is on my list of things to buy.

Yeah, I told them that their explanation didn't make sense to me. Well there wasn't really an explanation besides saying the rollers are knurled and that they have done extensive testing showing being out of parallel is not a problem like it would be with traditional rollers.

Oh, I see. These are knurled rollers. JK. I'm struggling to think of a two roller, small scale grain mill that has rollers that are not knurled.

Knurled rollers add grip, so the gap is more forgiving in the sense that it's less likely that grains will "slide" and not get pulled through. But they don't make make any particular gap size perform like any other particular gap size, crush-wise.

Let's forget about 17.5% unevennes having or not having any impact. Would you be willing to pay that much money for such shoddy workmanship regardless?
I certainly wouldn't and considering this issue combined with the electronics this is definitely a piece of SSB equipment I'm never buying.

So check my math.

I mill at .045 inches. 17.5% of that would be 37.35 on the small end or 52.65 on the big.

I’d say that’s a visual difference and is a stupid large gap difference.

Is it seriously that far off?

So, if you want to set it up for a 0.035" crush (I usually think in inches with mills), then you have to assume that some grain will be crushed at 0.030", which for some rigs/false bottoms might cause an issue. So is the solution to have it set up for the narrower side to mill at 0.035, and let a lot of grain be crushed at 0.040"? As you know, most of the time we want to crush about as fine as we can confidently get away with. You would have to add this additional "safety factor". In reality, it's probably not the end of the world, but for an expensive mill, why have to compromise so much? My less expensive mill sets up much closer than this (prob. to within about 0.002" side to side).

The difference from one end to the other in inches is .0051. This should be the same for any gap setting.

If the gap is really that far off, it’s a POS mill. I’d be embarrassed to put any name on it.

Being that they’ve already tried to convince you that it is fine, I’d go straight into asking for a return. It’s unlikely any mill they send given the number of bad ones in the video will be acceptable.

For that price, I don’t want to hear about tolerance. I want even.

I have one of the SS mills, which I purchased in a lot of items from a nano brewery that failed to start due to COVID-19. I had seen the aforementioned videos on YouTube, so I did a quick inspection with a feeler gauge before buying it. The gap on mine isn't perfect, but it didn't seem problematic to me. I don't recall the specific difference, side-to-side, but visually, they look absolutely parallel when set at the default setting of "0" or 1.3 mm, which is a large default gap compared to standard home roller mills.

I don't think the knurls are a valid explanation. They're so widely spaced that it would be more likely than not that any measurement with a feeler gauge would land on ungrooved portions of both rollers.

I will, however, note that the milling action is quite different than a standard home roller mill. The fact that the rollers are so much larger in diameter and rotate at different speeds really does affect the way the grain is crushed. It's not just marketing BS. With mynold mill, I sometimes conditioned my malt with 1-2% water and the most notable change is how fluffy the grain becomes. The grain that took up 2.5 gallons of space before milling might take 3.5 gallons of space after milling. That's because so many husks remain intact, even though the endosperm is well-crushed. It's very similar in the SS mill without conditioning. It is quite remarkable, IMHO.

SS Brewtech calls this "shearing action", but I'd describe it more like adding a rubbing action to the crushing process. This difference may account for the larger than normal default mill gap.

My main complaint about the mill may be a byproduct of that rubbing action -- static. I built an enclosed plywood cabinet on top of which sits the mill. When I've finished milling malts for a 5-gallon batch, I will be able to knock perhaps 2 cups of husks and flour from the underside of the top of the cabinet. I think an enclosed cabinet is essential for this mill.

People who drop $800 on a home malt mill are understandably expecting perfection and they're also likely to obsess over details like the alignment of the rollers. It was probably a mistake, at least from a marketing perspective, to fail to provide any means of adjusting the alignment.

I'm mostly happy with the mill because of the quality of the crush it produces. My wort has been extra clear and my sparges have run like clockwork since dialing in the crush which matches my set-up best, which is +1, or 1.46mm. Efficiency is good, too.

received_243759597090593.jpeg

I call total BS on SSB and would let them know the bad publicity they receive on this and possibly other forums will far outweigh their poor quality and customer service.

Does the gap remain 0.13mm (0.005") as you adjust the gap settings? Too bad they tried to simplify things by providing fixed settings instead of allowing adjustment of both ends like many other mills.

What's all this about knurled rollers? Aren't they fluted?

Looking at the picture on the SS web site, they do appear to be fluted, or maybe shallowly grooved would be more descriptive.

No response from SS yet. I sent them an email telling them that the gap difference from end to end (0.13 mm) varies by more than one of their settings going from 4 to 5 (0.10 mm). To me this says a gap variance that large will obviously make a difference in the crush, otherwise why would they have a setting to adjust the gap by less than this amount?

I have an update. SS got back to me after sending them that last bit of info I found with the variance in the gap larger than one of the gap adjustment settings. They said using an automotive shim is not how you should determine if the mill is crushing in the range you want but to use a grain sieve. They don't think the amount of variance will cause any issues. They also said there is no evidence to show this variance causes any issues. If someone can provide this evidence it sounds like they would act on it.

I gave them the link to this thread so they are aware of it, but they said they don't comment publicly about this kind of stuff. At this point I really don't know what to say. I guess I will use the SS mill and also the monster mill I have and see if there are any discernible differences. I'm pretty new at this and don't know how to use a grain sieve, maybe if I have time I'll get around to doing that if its feasible. If anyone has done actual tests and has some data that would be useful. It's really a beautiful mill aesthetically and hope what they are saying is true.

Ok then. Hard pass on that mill, and company, if this is how they choose handle the situation.

Regardless of crush quality they do advertise their mill as having "Precision Gap Adjustment". I'd ask them what they actually mean by that.

These guys sound more like used car sales people than engineers.
"They all wobble like that" is unacceptable for what they're charging. Full stop.

Cheers!

Most of us use the standard automotive gap tool, or as some suggest a credit card. What does BrewTech recommend?

This, IMO, is horrible customer service especially considering the mill costs nearly $1,000. For that price I'd expect some shapely, bikini clad babes arriving at my brewhouse to set the thing up and demonstrate its use. OK, I can dream, can't I?

Most of us use the standard automotive gap tool, or as some suggest a credit card. What does BrewTech recommend?

I guess you have to measure at 8 points then average.

Probably this is why they started suggesting doing sieve testing instead of gap measuring, didn't want anyone sticking feeler gauges in that skewed gap. For the $800 they should at least throw in the test sieves.

Probably also why they didn't put actual gap measurements on their adjustment detents, just arbitrary numbers.

in my opinion you guys are being super hard on SS over this. I would love to see a bit more information on "if" it has an effect. i 100% agree that for the cost it should be perfect but if its not causing a issue in extraction is it really a problem?

not trying to start conflict or disagreeing with any of the points in this thread just an honest unbiased question.

I totally disagree. Dismissing a glaringly obvious production quality problem by saying "but it still grinds grain" is weak sauce at their price point.
I have a $99 two roller mill that turns true, ffs. How hard can it be to turn rollers true?

"Maybe going with the lowest bidder on the job wasn't the best idea after all" seems appropriate here...

Cheers!

Look at the bright side, the rolls are not going to wear evenly and eventually the faces will be parallel to each other. :)

Sieve test? Sure... for adjusting the mill gap to achieve optimal mashing and lautering, but not to assess whether a mill's rollers are parallel. Their responses remind me of the scene in Elf where Walter Hobbs is informed that thousands of copies of a children's book his firm has printed are missing pages:

https://getyarn.io/yarn-clip/59be450e-c04a-431f-9df7-5c494899f250

What I'm not happy about is I asked for either a refund or replacement with parallel rollers having a variance less than the adjustment gap settings. SS per their policy was as far as I know supposed to honor this if the customer isn't happy with their product. They did not honor my request. In addition if they have these extensive tests showing this variance between the rollers makes no difference then show us the tests. Why should I pay $800 and receive a product that is clearly questionable and not be shown any evidence which they state they have? It just doesn't make sense. Any company that is telling the truth would come on here or post information on their website showing that their product is indeed functioning as advertised. Leaving the customer to have to test an $800 mill with a sieve test to see if its working right is pretty crazy the more I think about it.

Latest posts

Back