Spunding after dry hopping to retain aroma better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DVCNick

Reaction score
I've searched and can't seem to find a thread on this topic. Maybe my search skill just suck as I can't believe I'd be the only one to think of it.
For pale ale/IPA, has anyone ever tried this: Let the beer ferment out under a normal airlock (no pressure). When it is done or very close, dry hop and then close it up.
I've got a beer I've tried this with now and will be kegging sometime in the next week. My dry hops weren't super fresh, so might not be the best test, but I'll try it again with fresh ingredients as well.

I can't help but think all that amazing aroma coming out of the airlock after dry hopping would be better off if it wasn't vented and stayed in the beer.
I've done a little spunding as needed, but not much. The headspace now as reached about 12 psi. Based on past experience, this will drop to 4-6 psi during cold crashing, and I likely won't have to vent much to do a closed transfer to serving keg from there. So there has been minimal headspace pressure released since dry hopping.
I'm wondering if this will lead to better aroma in the final beer.

I've done this. Fermented under low pressure, about 5 PSI, and at the tail end of fermentation (with a little krausen still left, not aiming for biotransformation) add the hops, and ramp up the pressure on the spunding valve to 10-15 PSI. Holds those lovely hop aromas in. It's great if you have the equipment to do it. I've done it with a 3 gallon batch in a 5 gallon keg. I don't have the ability to do this for 5 gallon batches in my brewbucket.

Thanks... I'll be kegging the beer soon but would like to do some more experimentation with this. Probably would have to do a split batch to get truly apples to apples comparison.

Back